Where do I place a birdhouse when I don't have trees in my back yard?

JoanneDebC. D. Scallan
+4

• Dam2068431
    Dam2068431

Hi Joanne, thanks for the great question. Trees do make it easy to hang birdhouses yet there are a few options for those of us without trees. You could use a shepards hook which is a thin pole with a curve at the top where you can rest the birdhouse. These come in two sizes that I've generally seen. You could hang a hook off of a deck, balcony, storage unit or other structure in the yard. If you have a fence you could attach a birdhouse to one of the upright posts. If you haven't yet purchased your birdhouse I've seen some that attach by suction cup to the outside of the home's window and they bring nature right to your windowsill. I hope this gives you a few ideas.
  • Lynn Murphy-Picker
    Lynn Murphy-Picker

Possibly a shepherd's hook. I have one of my feeders hanging on one by my garden (helps to control pesty bugs).
  • Judy Clark
    Judy Clark

I have a couple of birdhouses mounted on a 4" x 4" piece of wood that has been anchored in a small amount of concrete. You can mount them any height that you want and put them basically anywhere in your flower beds.
  • Suzanne
    Suzanne

Do you have a fence you can put it on? Also you could put it on a post or hang it on a shepherds hook.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

Shepherd's hook is the easiest and most affordable way to hang a birdhouse or feeder. You can find simple or decorative ones in the garden section of Walmart .
  • Deb
    Deb

You want the birdhouse a distance from the house where it is quiet and a cool breeze but still sun.
  • Joanne
    Joanne

Thank you everyone. Will the pesky squirrels be bothersome?