Asked on Jun 5, 2017

How do you make the solution for a hummingbird feeder?

Elaine HassenLandsharkinncSandi Lee
+5

• Here is the recipe and instructions. Happy hummingbirds! I have 5 hummer feeders and 6 seed feeders . . .

• Faith Rosborough
    Faith Rosborough

In the spring I use 1/2 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water. Then once there are more flowers for them to feed I drop it to 1/3 cup sugar.
  • Stephen Slemp
    Stephen Slemp

1 cup of sugar and 4 cups of water or 4 to 1 ratio. DO NOT ADD FOOD COLORING!!!!
  • Michael A Carta
    Michael A Carta

1 cup of sugar to 3 cups of water.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

Hello Urdrivingmecrazy, I agree with everyone else. It's as simple as making sugar water. Of course you have to have a hummingbird feeder to put it in. I have finch feeder socks up. I put them close to my windows so I can watch the finches. You could do the same thing with your humming bird feeders. They are fun to watch. Hope this helps.
  • Sandi Lee
    Sandi Lee

The 4-1 formula is correct according to a hummingbird website. I microwave 1cup water in a PYREX (glass - not plastic) measuring cup for two minutes to get rid of chemicals then add 1/4 cup sugar and stir to dissolve. Be sure to clean your feeder each time, and to not hang it again until the solution is cool. Kepep feeder out of direct sun; and as noted above, DO NOT ADD FOOD COLORING! Enjoy your hummers .
  • Landsharkinnc
    Landsharkinnc

1 part sugar to 4 parts water...
  • Elaine Hassen
    Elaine Hassen

1 part white sugar, 4 parts water. I make it one cup at a time using 1/4 C sugar, mixed in 1 cup water.