Asked on Jun 12, 2017

Is there a way to repair an clay pot with a broken edge?

Lyn15291588Linda Carl HolderMaureen Romano
+11

My go to is usually spackling paste then form it to look like the surrounding area, but this pot will be outdoors with flowers planted in it. Can anyone suggest something else? It's a large pot and I'd like to save it, if I can. My plan is to paint it once it's fixed.
  • Gre17298090
    Gre17298090

Hi Linda, why don't you turn on a bit of creativity and mosaic the whole pot? This way you obviously seal the crack and also create your own little masterpiece.
    • Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

Hmmm I've never done mosaic. Maybe this is the year I learn. How would I attach pieces to the part that is broken? It's at the top and the opening is at least 2 inches along the edge and 1 1/2 - 2 inches down into the pot.
  • Linda Carl Holder
    Linda Carl Holder

Use E6000 glue, it will hold up under moisture.

• Lyn15291588
    Lyn15291588

Liquid nails. Just like the name says it will hold. Home Depot and lowes carry it.
  • Maureen Romano
    Maureen Romano

I had a REALLY big clay pot, the gardener hit with his big mower. He fixed it with clear FlexSteel. He reinforced the pot with heavy jute rope then sealed with the flexseal. He did such a great job that someone took it! But for the 2 weeks I had it, it looked great filled with mixed herb plants!
    • Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

The more I think about what you said, the more my mind is whirling. LOL I'm thinking that maybe I could build that edge with the rope and FlexSteel, then add rope all the way around the top part that is what - maybe 2 inches.- gluing it as I go. Hmmm have to think about it. TY
  • Linda Carl Holder
    Linda Carl Holder

Oh, I thought you had the parts to glue back on! Sorry, I don't know how you would replace the missing parts on terra cotta. You might try modeling clay and see if it will stick.
    • Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

You know, Linda Carl Holder, I just came in the house from painting some flower pots and I needed a break. I was thinking about the pot that I need help with when it dawned on me , that due to the answers most people probably thought I had the other piece. LOL I did mention molding spackling paste, but I learned a lesson to be more specific. Thank you!

Your idea is good though. Some kind of clay would probably work, especially since I'm going to paint it. That would seal it and help hold it together. So I guess I need to google home-made clay and see what I find or head to the craft store and see what they say.
  • Lyn15291588
    Lyn15291588

Apply it in layers to build it up. If it is a deep piece I would let it dry in between layers.