Is there any way to clean carpet that has cat urine?

Janet PizaroNancy TurnerGayle Tucker
+5

Rental home with cat urine in a particular are of the house in two places. Is there anything that can be done to salvage the carpet? I am about ready to pull up the carpet and tile the entire house. Thanks in advance!!

• Nicole
    Nicole

Luckily our cats do not urinate outside their litter boxes (or onto the carpet) anymore, in our old apartment the following steps used to help (may depend on the carpet however):
    1) Absorb as much of the urine as possible (use paper towels or rugs) by blotting the stains. Do not rub the areas but push down on them to get the urine out. If the stains are dry, moisten them a little and try to get the urine out by absorbing the moisture afterwards.
    2) Use a 50/50 vinegar and water solution on the stains (best applied with a spray bottle) and make sure that the solution really penetrates the stains and the fiber. After that dry off the carpet again as much as possible. (Again by blotting, no rubbing!)
    3) Apply baking soda (generously) over the stained areas. Afterwards you can add a mix of a quarter of a cup of 3% (not higher!) hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent, which you sprinkle over the baking soda. (You may want to test that in a less visible area, as hydrogen peroxide might cause discolorations). Work the mixture well into the carpet using a brush or your fingers (then you should wear gloves) and let it all dry.
    4) After everything is completely dry vacuum the dried baking soda (which by then should have absorbed all of the remaining urine and its odor). You may have to loosen the baking soda first.
    Good luck!
  • BJ Brom
    BJ Brom

Your local vet or humane society should have a product. I used one called eliminator which worked great!
    • Ida Fol
      Ida Fol

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out.

• Charlee Hunter
    Charlee Hunter

Cat urine is the worst :( I love cats (well most animals) but it is terrible. My sister had this issue, we used a combo of almost boiling water/vinegar mixture and baking soda. Mix equal parts vinegar (not hot) and very hot water. Pour this carefully on the spot. Don't get carried away with the amount. Leave this for a few minutes, then use a shop vac to suck up the dirty water. Keep using the shop vac until the carpet is only damp or mostly dry. Put baking soda on the spot and lightly brush in with fingers. Let that set until completely dry then vacuum. I would test this on a spot to make sure it does not take out color on your carpet.
  • Cat
    Cat

I found this on pinterest and it worked for me: 16 oz hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp dawn dish detergent, 1 tbs baking soda - mix in a spray bottle, soak the area, let it dry and the smell should be gone. Good luck to you !
  • Gayle Tucker
    Gayle Tucker

I used to run a cat rescue. I used Sun Professional Urine Eliminator. You can find it on Amazon for about $10. Sadly I have never had any luck with homemade solutions. Urine's enzymes must be destroyed and that takes chemistry. Some people say baking soda followed by dry ground coffee. If the urine has soaked the carpets pad, pull that portion of the pad up and replace. Then treat the carpet.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I always found that straight vinegar really did the trick. I always made sure that I put on enough to get some down on the pad, if the same spots were used over and over, it has to have made it down to the pad. If you don't treat the pad the smell will show up when it is humid or if it gets damp. For a while my son's hybrid cat decided that any open basket, with or without clothes in them were a great place for a litter box, and a couple of spots in the extra bedroom in the basement. Once we found and treated all the spots, she quit doing it.
    Janet Pizaro

Use natures miracle for the urine smell.Most pet stores sell the product