My iron plate needs cleaning any suggestions to get it smooth????

AmAtHomePab20765760SusieQ
+9

• Pab20765760
    Pab20765760

If you put down some wax paper then spread some salt on it and turn iron on and iron over it until the plate it clean and give it a wipe.
    • Lorraine
      Lorraine

Thank you .............I have done this before and it helped........but it doesn't work this time
  • SusieQ
    SusieQ

Baking soda or barkeepers friend.
    • Lorraine
      Lorraine

Do you use baking soda dry or wet..........................cool iron or warm? ........what is barkeepers friend and where do I get it????????????????? Thank you for your reply in advance
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Rub warm iron with bar of soap then iron on old scrap of cloth
  • Lorraine
    Lorraine

will try Thank you any more suggestions??????????????
  • Maynard
    Maynard

Barkeepers Friend is a very mild abrasive cleaning and polishing compound found at the grocery store next to the other cleansers of its type, like Comet. More to the question: you said that the salt and waxed paper worked before but not this time. if you are needing to do this on a repetitive basis, may I ask what you are using the iron for, since ironing laundry does not cause any damage to the sole plate. This would be most helpful in perhaps preventing it from happening again. As for smooth, you are dealing with an electroplated stainless steel surface. If its scratched there's nothing to be done other than smoothing it down so the scratch does not damage clothing. If its a buildup, i definitely need to know what it is before I talk about removal. If you wish to continue this, contact me at: mhdubow@yahoo.com
  • SusieQ
    SusieQ

On a cool iron dampen a cloth and dip it in baking soda and rub your iron plate until the yuk is gone. Barkeepers friend can be bought in most stores . It is located with things like Comet. Barkeepers Friend will not scratch surfaces like other cleaners but is a lot more expensive than baking soda.
  • Pab20765760
    Pab20765760

Buy a new iron !!
  • AmAtHome
    AmAtHome

I used the instructions in the link, the baking soda /water paste worked great! https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/laundry/clean-iron