How do I add curtains to my vertical blinds?

Nancy WhitneyLynne WebbSandyG
+8

I have a sliding glass door that has vertical blinds and would like to install curtains in front of them. I do not know how to see and need an easy fix.

• Dfm

there are curtain rods that will span the area, and hold your curtains. They have piece that pushes the the rod out further into the room.
  • Peg

Get a patio door curtain rod.
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY

They make curtain rods that will stick out past the Vertical Blinds. Measure how far the bracket sticks out that the verticals Blinds hang on. Take the measurement to the store with you. So you know the depth of the curtain rod to get.
  • Elizabeth

I just did this to my vertical blinds. I got a window rod with expendable brackets (So the curtains will extend out further than the blinds ). Measure from the wall out while the blinds are in open position.
  • Joy30150932

There are rods available which extend out a fair distance from the wall. You should be able to find one that suits your needs.
  • SandyG

Absolutely. It will be like a regular drapery installation.

Measure your window. Measure the width, and then the length.
    Choose curtains that are full length, and lined. Purchase curtains that are about 3 inches longer than your door. Thus, if your door is 72 inches long, then 75 inch long curtains is what you will need.
    Purchase a curtain rod, about 2 inches longer than the width of your door. Thus, if your window is 50 inches wide, your curtain rod needs to be 52 inches long.

Purchase curtain rings, with clips, to match your curtain rods. You will need at least a dozen, depending upon the size of your window and the style curtain you have.

Measure again, and place a mark about 4 inches above and 2 inches outside the top corners of your blinds, on each end. Screw your curtain rod supports into the wall at each mark.
    Place the center support for the curtain rod in the center of the window, also about 4 inches above the vertical blind.
    Clip the rings to the top of the curtain, at equal intervals. Slide the rings onto the curtain rod.
    Set the curtain rod on top of the supports and adjust the curtain.
  • Lynne Webb

Are the sliding doors wood or metal? Obviously, they only slide from one side. Hmmmmm, I thought the purpose of the vertical blinds was to eliminate the need for curtains. All I can think of is a rod that is totally above the frame with tab type curtains that will glide smoothly to one side should you choose to open them.
    • Lynne Webb

I'm thinking that the curtains would probably suffer the same fate. There is some window film that I got at either Lowes or Home Depot. Let me set the stage. I have a small dog that was making me nuts : in and out/in and out. So, I bought a insulated storm door at that comes with a doggy door (your Mastiff's are out of the question for my size access, lol). That requires me to leave my house door open if she's going to have access to the privacy-fenced back yard. And I have a lockable gate. I feel it is at Home Depot where there is a wide selection of window film. It ranges from frosted to faux stained glass and black, like mine. And it is not the stuff featured in the window sales area. This is on shelves and comes in good size rolls.
      Is it possible that you could do the same with your sliding doors but put the film on the outside? I got the darkest they have. It's in black geometric shapes. The only way someone can see a hint of something inside my house is if I have a light on. And even then it's not totally visible. If no interior lights are on, you can walk up to that storm door and see absolutely nothing. Daytime or night. There is no way to tell if the house door is ajar. Consequently, I leave the house door open, doggy door access panel up, lock my gate and go out through my garage.
      I'm happy, the dog's happy and life is so much better for both of us.

• Nancy Whitney

Hang rods above blinds on plaster wall.