Robert
Robert
  • Buffalo, NY

Need some DIY help

BarbDalila OlivaCes9631366
+10

Looking for some décor/DIY advise on what we should do with our recently painted fireplace. We're planning on building a faux reclaimed wooden mantle to slip over the existing concrete slab and eventually put in a gas insert. But, besides that we're looking for any ideas that anyone else has to offer.
q need some diy help
  • Rmf24412612

How about add a clock so you won't miss the time.
    • Robert

Yeah, this was one thought that we had in mind - an oversized clock right in the center. I don't know if the top cement slab (since it's off center) will make things look slightly off.
  • Mitchell thompson

Why don't you paint the frame around the vertical shelf and the half circle of the fireplace to match with your favorite color ?
  • Michael

Makes me think of a castle when I look at that wall. A family crest or a set of crossed swords would look great there!
    • Robert

Ha, yeah I'm not sure my wife will go with that idea. We've got a little one, so swords might not be a good idea right now.
  • Fiddledd224

Everything is horizontal. You need to bring in something vertical to add interest. How about placing a tall plant on the hearth or a set of tall candlesticks? Something to break up all of the "boring" flat stuff.
    • Robert

We normally put out tall candlesticks on the right side of the hearth (when the Halloween decorations are not out), but like your idea of putting a tall plant on hearth.
  • Kauai Breeze

I agree a large round clock would draw attention of the off center shelves. I would put something like a metal branch or tree wall hanging, or something without a geometric shape. Painting the trim around the fireplace black would make it look larger.
  • Ces9631366

I love mirrors - tall and verticle sitting on mantel just left of center.
  • Dalila Oliva

Or maybe if you guys have a passion like we love glass ,rocks ,and music. So we have a large Jade ship, mosaic glass plates,and cry
  • Dalila Oliva

Or maybe if you guys have a passion like we love glass ,rocks ,and music. So we have a large Jade ship, mosaic glass plates,and crystal found rocks. With a harmo ica just laid there.
  • Barb

I personally would add a spectator mirror with candle sticks on the mantle and lanterns at the base of the fireplace and then on the right side ledge add a vase with sticks. I have some photo to help with this visual 🍁🎃. The arch mirror back built in, I would find 3 tall items and spray them a mercury.
  • See More