Salt looking crystals on outside plants

MogieNita SinglerBijous
+8

Just noticed my garden plants seem to have a salt like substance covering them. It rubs off and this happened seemingly overnight. I gave them a good flushing with fresh water and am hoping all will be okay. Anyone else?

• Connie S

Without seeing it, I can't tell for sure. It could be powdery mildew, it could be tiny bugs. Any garden shop or extension office in your area can identify it for sure.

• Landsharkinnc

Have you had a frost? Is it ice crystals?
  • Bijous

It may be the sap residue from a bug eating your plants. You'll need to spray neem oil to get rid of the little buggers. Make sure to spray under the leaves also.
    • Mogie

It is not powdery mildred or bugs. It is a salt like crystal that rubs off but not easily. They have been sprayed and are in containers on gravel so there is no other forms of plants growing in the area (did that to help keep the bad bug population down). I have never in my 20 years of gardening seen anything like this.
  • Mogie

Yes to both questions but it gets up into the 60's during the day and almost full sunshine.
  • Bijous

Psyllid Control | Planet NaturalIf it's not sticky, then it actually could be salt on your potted plants. Clean and switch to distilled water instead of tap.
  • Mogie

Distilled water. I have plants in 20 gallon tubs. Would go broke. LOL

Wonder if it could be the spray used for mildew. The stuff was out of date (I just noticed that). Bought it last week too. So the store is selling stuff that has expired at the full price.
  • Nita Singler

what about my microwave question ?

• Mogie

Don't see a microwave questions listed. Could you repost that question?

• Dwp7470b

Sorry to tell you this Mogie, but It is Gray Alien Matter in your garden...🙄 What you need to do to get rid of it is? Sell tickets. $5 per person admission. After you attend to 350 persons who are looking for a Door Prize, (as you already will have earned $1750 in admission minus cases of coca cola) hold a drawing to Win the Plants that are affected. Then on the following monday or tuesday you go to Lowe's or Home Depot to spend your cash on new plants. This works to rid yourself of any Gray Alien Matter in your garden, plus with the excess you can give a toy to toys for tots.

• Mogie

LOL