Asked on Nov 13, 2017

How to make a canopy for Carousel horses?

SusanneMcastlerReneJackson
+4

i have 6 hand painted carousel horses, and would love to make a canopy, and have the callidioscope?? music, i have it on a wooden lazy susan. if i put wooden paper towel holder on it , the horses would not fit.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

I would McGuiver the lazy susan, adding drilled craft/wooden dowels for horse attachment and taller dowel center structual pole -construct top structure of fabric wood or foam core or combination relating to your color and design aesthetic.

Would that work? It looks like lazy susan are standard sized 12 inches. Im not sure how big the horses are. Perhaps a bigger diameter wood circle is needed for existing lazy susan mechanism.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Think in terms of having either 3 or 6 uprights ( in between the horses) and a central pole . Knitting Needles stuck into holes in the base with larger one in middle. Then cover it with narrow triangles of fabric over laid on card. Or childs Doll umbrella???? You could use plastic straws as joints.........?
  • 27524803
    27524803

Exactly what size are we talking about ? And where do you want to display it?
  • Brenda Brandt Deason
    Brenda Brandt Deason

That sounds like a fun project! I think I would go to a dollar store for an umbrella. Maybe you could cut it down to size, then cover it with fabric worthy of a carousel. You could get wood dowels to support it. Maybe something like a Pringles can would work for the center, to cover the umbrella post.
  • ReneJackson
    ReneJackson

Don't know how small the horses are but you could use either a small umbrella or even a drink umbrella as the top. You would just have to paint it circus like colors in each section use the handle as a center post and put small dowel rods around as the outside holders .
  • Mcastler
    Mcastler

thank you all for your ideas-never thought of them up/down and umbrella ideas is great. margaret
  • Susanne
    Susanne

I would think something a bit more solid. In the middle I would build a rectangular box. This is where you could place a small blue tooth speaker. At the four corners of the box drill small holes for wooden dowels. You will also want to place dowels thru out the base attached to another matching sized wooden circle. I would also attach around the edge of the
    Top a valence. And around the bottom a skirt. The wood to use in in the trim section. It is very thin and bendy. I think it can be ironed or glued on. Then I would paint it in the theme of your horses. With a lot of gold filagree work. You could add fairy lights or glue diamonds of different colors and put a spot light on it. It would be magical.