Has anyone ever put white glaze on medium to dark wood cabinets?

+10
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 22, 2017
    No! but try it somewhere you can't see first. I imagine it will look as if you are looking through a curtained window............?????
    • Caroline Caroline on Nov 22, 2017
      Thank you -such an obvious solution...I should have thought of that. I am in the throes of a gut remodel and many people are in and out here some days. ...Interferes with clear thinking, thanks! ~ SuzyQ
    • Caroline Caroline on Nov 22, 2017
      I do not want to paint the cabinets white. I want to keep the wood, just soften it some with the glaze. Did see one pic that was helpful, thanks!
    I know what that feels like. My pleasure.
  • Joseph Glackin Joseph Glackin on Nov 22, 2017
    I once applied white glaze to walnut cabinets, then wiped the glaze off before it fully dried. The decorator ordered it, the customer loved it.
    Who am I? I got paid to do it.
    • See 1 previous
    • Joseph Glackin Joseph Glackin on Nov 23, 2017
      It did get the effect of lightened wood. Try a small panel first. the longer the paint stays on, the whiter it will be. So, paint on, wait, wipe off. Not white enough? Leave it on a little longer. When you are satisfied with the color, try it on a larger piece. If that works, you have your cabinets
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Nov 22, 2017
    I tried white stain, whitewashed inside a door, on an orange-y oak cabinet...glad I did it because I didn't care for the effect.
    I agree that you should try a little sample first.

• Kandy Scott Kandy Scott on Nov 23, 2017
    My mom tested all sorts of paint to find the color that would turn her dark cabinets lighter.She finally found that a yellow turned them a light blue brown. She ended up going to a paint store with the challenge and they had fun helping her. Have fun
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Nov 26, 2017
    FYI I just saw this in case you are interested. How heavily you apply is up to you I guess...
    http://www.hometalk.com/18538990/kitchen-facelift