Can this dresser be painted?

+17
I picked up a dresser at the Goodwill. It's heavy and unattractive but what we needed a the time. I am ready to do something with it to make it more attractive in the bedroom.
Can it be painted? If so I suppose I would have to sand it first. I am not sure it's not fiberboard. Wouldn't that fall apart if I were to sand it? Would painting it without sanding work if I were to prime it first?
I've seen a lot of nice ideas on Hometalk but I am a little leery about what I can do with this dresser. Is it veneer on top of particle board? I am not sure if it can be stripped down or painted.
Has anyone ever attempted beautifying one of these type pieces?
q can this dresser be painted
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Nov 28, 2017
    yes. Anything can be painted. Take off those pulls and grab some chalk paint. Two coats and your done. Use wax to seal it.
  • Amanda Amanda on Nov 28, 2017
    Hello. First take the hardware off. Looking inside the drawers should also help you see if the dresser is particle board. Then lightly sand the dresser. If it appears to be particle board you want to make sure not to damage it. Sand it just enough so the paint adheres. I would then prime and paint.
  • Ter29393207 Ter29393207 on Nov 28, 2017
    Take a draw with you to show the worker what you want to do and the surface to be painted. You will need to prime it first before painting the veneer. I like KILNZ the best.

• I say use chalk paint. It sticks to virtually everything and it's easy to use.
    • Marie Marie on Nov 29, 2017
      This will be my first attempt at using chalk paint. Wish me luck.
    nope
  • FL FL on Nov 28, 2017
    Beautiful piece. I cannot tell if it I clear sealant on wood or some kind of laminate. particle board could be used with laminate or wood veneer over it. Anyway, a gentle sanding helps either way by giving the surface some "teeth" to hold on to the paint.
  • William William on Nov 29, 2017
    l the modern paints anything can be painted. Make sure its clean. Remove the hardware. Lightly sand just to remove any gloss. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, BIN, or Kilz. I like Kilz. Then paint with your color. Use at least three coats of a water based polyurethane to seal it. I like Minwax. Use a foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish. You can spray paint the hardware or replace it.
  • Emily Emily on Nov 29, 2017
    Actually that looks like a quality piece to me. Only on site viewing would tell if it is fiberboard. I would not use chalk paint which seems to me a finish for a more casual piece of furniture. Yours is sophisticated. Particle board will look like crosshatching of the unfinished material. Wood will have a grain, that is horizontal. If the color and finish as it is is not unpleasant to you why not live with it for awhile before doing something else?
  • Mar31895609 Mar31895609 on Nov 29, 2017
    Just finished one.paid $8,00 at a thrift store. Then $7_8 dollars at home depot for a gallon of oops paint with primer. And yes it was veneer. No sanding I just gave it two coats I paint. Oh yeah, I had a stencil so I used. It. Came out great. Gd luck
  • Marie Marie on Nov 30, 2017
    Do you have a picture? I forgot about oops paint. Thanks!
  • Marie Marie on Dec 01, 2017
    Oh I had forgotten about Oops paint. Thanks Mariaddones.
  • Marie Marie on Dec 11, 2017
    Thank you Mariaddones. I would love to see a picture of it.