Asked on Apr 1, 2014

How do you secure a gazing ball so the wind cant blow it over

Terri LangerSheri RobersonSharon Scherger Frisch
+12

I have lost a few gazing balls to windy weather
  • You could use clear silicone and secure that way to your stand. good luck

• Patty
    Patty

Yes, silicone adhesive. That's what we did.

• Barbara R
    Barbara R

If your stand is light and is tipping over, too, after cementing your ball to the stand (and it's set), place some rocks inside the stand, glue a solid bottom to your stand. There you have it!

• Tina H
    Tina H

That's why I make my own out of bowling balls!

• Sharon Jessamine
    Sharon Jessamine

E 6000 glue also works well*. Be sure to secure stand by weighting it or staking it. *Depends on what stand is made of.

• Bonnie Dedrick Britton
    Bonnie Dedrick Britton

mine kept blowing over and got broke too, i took a bowling ball and glued glass beads on it solves the problem of breakage!

• Sandy Voss Halley
    Sandy Voss Halley

Use plumber's tape to secure ball in place. Then at the base get a few beautiful rocks to decorate around it & brace it from the wind.

• Shirley Kalinosky
    Shirley Kalinosky

I filled mine with cat litter. It didn't go anywhere!

• Bonnie Dedrick Britton
    Bonnie Dedrick Britton

I used a plastic chip/dip bowl, sit the ball in the well the part that is used for the dip, it holds the ball while putting beads on.

• Mother
    Mother

Glue a strong magnet to the ball. Half-bury a piece of metal where you want your ball to sit.

• Lynda Verhoek
    Lynda Verhoek

Amazon sells QUAKE it is a putty that is reusable. I just bought two glass gazing balls and when the sun goes down will be applying the putty onto the wrought iron frame and then pressing the ball down onto it. I use this stuff for a lot of "stick um ups" read their description, it really works.

• Sharon Scherger Frisch
    Sharon Scherger Frisch

I just got an amazing rainbow gazing ball on Ebay. It was about the same price but made of stainless steel. I did plan to use the putty but I love the magnet idea. thanks!
  • Sheri Roberson
    Sheri Roberson

Use a bottle add rocks to the bottle to make it heavy. Use wire to wrap around bottle neck and insert 4 wires going up that sprout out inside the ball. Insert bottle into base. Use strong enough wire that allows that to happen. Easy to change the ball and keep

the same base.

• Terri Langer
    Terri Langer

I am on my 3rd gazing ball and all 3 have lost their interior mirror glaze. We added sand to weigh it down in the stand after 1 blew out. Could that be causing it to lose its glaze?

• Linda Hill
      Linda Hill

Mine always lost the glaze too so I switched to the stainless steel ones. Harder to find tho.