Should I put a a/c in the attic?

+4
Should I put a a/c unit in the attic? Or Have two stationary windows replaced With windows that will open?

• Russbow Russbow on Feb 07, 2018
    Depends. Window air conditioning units will have to go in the window. A central air conditions unit , the attic, with needed vents to the area to be cooled. If window units, I would first install the air cond, then fit a window to the area left, not a window that opens.
  • Suzette Suzette on Feb 07, 2018
    Hi Raymond, If you don't have any duct work or HVAC equipment in your attic, and have insulation on the floor, you really don't need anything. Here's an interesting link you should probably read: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/fans-attic-do-they-help-or-do-they-hurt

Good luck!
  • Me, thinking about servicing, it would be a no. Filters need to be changed regularly which might be problematic. What type of system do you have in place now? Ductwork? I would also check local code too.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 07, 2018
    I personally would use a attic fan
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Feb 07, 2018
    Where are you located? I would never put any kind of a air conditioning unit in an attic. It is hard to service. Do you have ductwork for one already installed?
    I would compare the cost of installing whole house A/C vs changing out windows and see what would be the best to keep you cool in your area.
  • Ray BLasko Ray BLasko on Feb 07, 2018
    Thanks for all who replied.
  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Feb 07, 2018
    a simple roof fan will keep the attic cooler.