Asked on Feb 8, 2018

I received an acorn squash, saved the seeds, will they grow this year?

TheSeamstress2dogalShoshana
+5

• Bonnie Greene Worsely
    Bonnie Greene Worsely

As long as the seeds we're dried out and kept from moisture, they should grow for you. Good luck. BJW
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

They should as long as it wasn't a hybrid, plant a few and see if they grow six to eight weeks before you would plant your garden, if they do grow, you will have a couple that are all ready to plant.
  • Danielle Odin
    Danielle Odin

If it was genetically modified or hybrid, it won't grow.
  • Shoshana
    Shoshana

They should! Rinsed off all the debris from the seeds and leave them on a glass dish to dry for a few days. Then just plant them as is in a large pot a couple months later.
  • 2dogal
    2dogal

They should grow even if they are hybrid (a cross between two types of plants) although some may be sterile. To see if they will, moisten a couple layers of a paper towel and lay some seeds on it, making sure they do not touch each other. Roll the paper towel, keeping the seeds separated, and put it in a sealed plastic bag. Place the sealed bag in a warm place. Check daily to see if they have germinated.
  • TheSeamstress
    TheSeamstress

I only save the seeds from organic squash. I always put my seeds in the fridge for a few weeks before planting too. Always wash excess plant material from seeds first and lay out to dry. Try separating seeds first cause it's hard to do after they dry