I have removed wall paper. How should I clean wall before painting?

+4
is it necessary to remove all the glue? What will work to remove it? Can I paint over it. What's a good wall cleaner before painting?

• M.hiltgen M.hiltgen on Feb 09, 2018
    You could sand the wall to remove the glue with an electric sander. Don't use the coarse grit but a medium grit.
    The glue would make the wall bumpy and less smooth.
  • Judith bock Judith bock on Feb 09, 2018
    First,wash the wall with a mixture of about 4 oz.of Downey fabric softerner to . a gallon of warm water, then rinse with vinegar and water. You will be able to tell if you have gotten all of the glue off.
  • William William on Feb 09, 2018
    DON"T SAND! That's crazy! I use one cup of vinegar to one gallon hot water and wash down with a sponge.
  • Patsy47 Patsy47 on Feb 09, 2018
    pro painter here.....use DIF , an enzyme wallpaper paste remover. scrub with a scotch brite nylon pad....its messy, dont try to be neat, then rinse with warm water using a large sponge. i dont reccommend using a sander as all that does is damage the surface of the drywall. The main thing is to remove ALL the paste prior to priming or painting.....cheers!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 09, 2018
    wash the glue off with fabric softener and water.
  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 09, 2018
    If you don't remove all of the glue it will come back and bite you in the butt. Trust me on this one, we bought a house that had painted-over glue and as soon as the humidity found it the paint lifted. Now I have no choice but to sand it off. You can avoid that by giving your primer the most pristine surface to cling to. Monicapatty is giving you the right advice.
  • Darcie Darcie on Feb 11, 2018
    Wash the walls with TSP, found at Home Depot or hardware stores.