Problem with garage door opener!

+9
I put new batteries in my garage door remote, works sometimes but not others. When leaving house it does not want doors to go down, but when coming home always goes up. I have no idea how to fix. Thank you for any help. Linda

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Feb 15, 2018
    Hi Linda, sometimes its not the opener that's the problem but the door itself. Most garage doors these days have sensors to prohibit it from opening and closing in case there is something in the way. Make sure they are aimed perfectly at each other (Usually they are nearly on the floor on either side of the opening).
  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 15, 2018
    Have you checked the battery in the ceiling part of the opener? Not the remote, but the thing that is stuck to the ceiling. They have a battery that needs to be changed every 5 years or so. Mine lasted about 10 years:) They are about $50, but that's only $10 a year, so not that bad. Check and see if that's the problem before doing anything else that is tedious:)
  • William William on Feb 15, 2018
    It's possible you need to reprogram the remote to the opener. Especially when replacing the batteries in the remote. If you have the owners manual it should have instructions how to do it. If you don't have the manual you Google the model number and get the manual online. This happened to me when I replaced batteries in my remote. It lost some of the codes so it worked sometimes. Had to reprogram the remote twice before I got it right.
  • Lindafredb Lindafredb on Feb 15, 2018
    Thank You I will try that
  • Lindafredb Lindafredb on Feb 15, 2018
    Thank You.
  • Kelly Kelly on Feb 15, 2018
    I am prone to agree with checking the eyes. Mine had some web on one of them and it wouldn't close.
  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 16, 2018
    That is very true, William, but there is, in most openers, a back-up battery just in case the electricity goes out.
  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 23, 2018
    That's true, William, but there is also a back up battery in the ceiling
    unit that needs to be changed every so often. Check that before you get into anything pricey.
  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 15, 2018
    Yes, William, but the one in the ceiling is a battery back up and that battery may need to be changed.
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 16, 2018
    There is a button on the back of my unit on the track, you push it and it relearns the code to open and close according to my garage door guy.
  • Nate Nate on Feb 27, 2019

If you need to reprogram a Genie garage door opener remote here is a link to all of the DIY's https://store.geniecompany.com/pages/diy-accessory-programming