Remove or cover painted popcorn ceiling?

+13
I know it is not cheap to remove painted popcorn. Is there another option for my ceilings? The living room is vaulted. Square footage of the home is 1500.
q remove or cover painted popcorn ceiling
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 24, 2018
    most everybody hates 'popcorn' ceilings --- https://www.todayshomeowner.com/removing-textured-popcorn-ceilings/ just 'search' on HOW TO REMOVE POPCORN CEILINGS and you'll get a boozillion hits ... not really expensive, but messy and labor intensive!
  • Alice Elaine Lord Alice Elaine Lord on Feb 25, 2018
    Look at your property records to see when the house was built. If it was after 1990 your pretty safe to remove it yourself. if it was before you need to see if it had asbestos in in and you have to have a licensed contractor remove it. I just sprayed water on it and used a large sparkle blade to remove mine and then washed the remaining residue.
  • Ck Ck on Feb 25, 2018
    Saw a vacuum tool to catch i mess as you do it. Research
  • Mar32120292 Mar32120292 on Feb 25, 2018
    Exactly its pretty simple to do a whole lot of mess but it's very important to get it tested be4 u start
  • Lori Lori on Feb 25, 2018
    When I removed our I attached a vaccum cleaner attachement, with duct tape (hey we're in the south! ) to a shopvac. Although it didn't catch all of it, it did help! After over a year trying to figure out what to do next, I simply got some joint compound and trowled it on, making "a curvy swirl, every so often, it took me 3 buckets of joint compound and I did it all by myself, but a much stiff neck afterwards, have to just find the right color paint now..
  • Debbie Brasher Debbie Brasher on Feb 25, 2018
    The more expensive route is placing ceiling tile over it or wood slats.
  • Vickie Vickie on Feb 25, 2018
    Or.....maybe cover it up with 1/4" drywall.
    • Lo411 Lo411 on Feb 26, 2018
      I did that and it was easy and cheap. Just make sure which way the studs are running and mark then on the end wall so you don't have to figure it out while you're holding screws, a drill and balancing sheet rock.
  • BETTY GULDBERG BETTY GULDBERG on Feb 25, 2018
    cover with 1/4 in sheetrock
  • Terri Terri on Feb 25, 2018
    I cover mine with bead board paneling. look high end.

• Debbie Wood Debbie Wood on Feb 26, 2018
    We just had our whole house popcorn ceilings removed. Approximately 1700 sq. Ft. They took down all recessed lighting, fans & vents. Did any taping and muddling necessary and painted all ceilings. It was done in a day and a half. Not very expensive. Came home to a clean house also. Love my new ceilings!
    • See 1 previous
    • Debbie Wood Debbie Wood on Mar 03, 2018
      We even had all the popcorn removed from the closets and garage. It cost $2,425. They remove all lights, ceiling fans and vent covers. They paint the ceilings. Come home to all put together and clean. Great company.
  • Alisha Alisha on Feb 26, 2018
    Hi There! I'm not sure how able you are, but I did my own ceilings and it's not hard At all. Just some hot soapy water in a sprayer and a paint/mud knife/scraper and a lot of elbow grease. Spray in sections, let it soften and then scrape it right off. I finished mine with a light orange peel texture and paint. I did about a room a day and had my 1700sq. Ft home done in a week!
  • RestoreAholic RestoreAholic on Feb 27, 2018
    I used EverTrue V groove to cover my ceiling. Its SUPER easy and very light to work with and very inexpensive. Its about $9 a pack at Lowes. I ended up getting it for $6 because almost every pack has some damaged pieces(not a huge deal because you end up making cuts) so they gave me a discount.
    I love this stuff. I've made a headboard with it, did ceiling in another room. Did a wall. :)