Brick planter question

+10
Home built with this large brick planter. I do not want plants. Need suggestions.
q brick planter
Large brick planter beneath two windows.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 25, 2018
    artificial flowers?
  • Bijous Bijous on Feb 25, 2018
    Line it and make a nice water feature.
  • Sharon Sharon on Feb 25, 2018
    Remove it. Knock a hole in one area with a sledge hammer, then carefully chisel out each brick in case you need to fix the wall behind it.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Feb 25, 2018
    You could lay a piece of board in the planter and place coloured rocks in a design...how hard would it be to remove?
  • Cynthia Whitney Cynthia Whitney on Feb 25, 2018
    I'd try to go with the removal option. The water feature just asks for more maintenance. I understand why you don't want to fuss with flowers in this--it's too narrow and would require constant watering. Just get rid of the whole thing and make it your own even if you never put anything else there. As for what else you could put there, it depends a lot on what else is there--lawn? sidewalk?--and whether it gets mostly sun or mostly shade. But first, just get rid of it and then rethink the whole area and how much work and expense you want to go to. Good luck.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 25, 2018
    Definitely remove it. After it's gone, the first thing to do is check to make sure there is no water damage done by the planter. If there are any cracks in the mortar, some water could have seeped into your wall. If you can see cracks, you may want to check for mold.
    After it's removed, put in a garden that's built up a little and plant shrubs. There will probably be imperfections that you won't be able to fix and the shrubs will cover them. The shrubs will also keep water from running into or under your home. Planting some flowers around the shrubs would make it look a lot better.
  • Patricia Patricia on Feb 26, 2018
    I may try this...thanks
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Feb 27, 2018
    If all this removal labor and effort are not on your agenda, I think the easiest way to go is with bagged white stones covering all of it ...would require a little $$$ in stones but that would be it...we did this with a walkway we built years ago and it still looks good...and if in the future it needs more stones to be added you can do that easily...