How do I start a garden? Dirt? Fence? Seeds?

+7
I’m in a warm climate, would love to grow vegetables and fruit for the family. I have a large backyard. Just not sure where to start since we are all busy. Any lowcost and quick ideas?

• Karla Karla on Mar 01, 2018
    My son built me a raised vegetable garden, super easy to take care of the plants no back bending. I love dwarf fruit plants, they do not get over grown and mine produced fruit the second year. Have fun.
    • Ore14794125 Ore14794125 on Mar 05, 2018
      That sounds like the way to go! I didnt Know dwarf fruit plants existed! Amazing. Thanks for the ideas.
  • P McCammon P McCammon on Mar 01, 2018
    Raised beds are so much easier. I have six that are 4'x8' and I spend very little time maintaining the vegetables. You can buy them or build with lumber if you or someone else is fairly handy. Fill with garden soil. Plant seeds for most veggies. Plants for tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are better. No need for fencing unless you have garden visitors such as deer, rabbits, etc. As for fruit, blueberry bushes are an easy choice. I'd suggest starting a compost. There are lots of ideas online for ways to build a small one.

Great advice! I’m convinced raised bed gardening is the best for me After reading these replies. Thanks for reminding me about composting. I read about that somewhere and it sounds worthwhile.
  • MagnoliaMemories MagnoliaMemories on Mar 01, 2018
    I like everyone's suggestions. I think container gardening might fit your lifestyle since everyone is busy. I would buy some large terracotta planters, a good fertilized soil mixture, and some vegetable plants from your local nursery. Happy growing!
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 01, 2018
    Container gardens are straightforward and low maintenance. You can plant seeds or plants already growing. They make beautiful accent pieces and are easier to weed.