What are plants I can plant in spring that will keep coming back?

+6
  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 03, 2018
    Any kind of Perennial.
  • Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Mar 03, 2018
    As D. Kenychuk mentioned, look for perennials at your garden stores in your area. Also check for whether the plants will grow best in sunlight or shade, certainly plants need so much sun to survive while others need mostly shade! Some need certain well drained soil and the acidic soils while others need no acidic soil. size the plant grows can be a issue as well, check how tall and wide the plants grow to make sure it won’t be too large fully grown where you want the plan at? Another issue that’s not talked about very often and not much info found readily available when you buy a plant is whether it’s a invasive plant that will spread everywhere once you plant just one plant and also can be extremely hard to get rid of once they start growing on your property! For me anyway, this should be more important than all the other specifics and it’s usually not mentioned anywhere! You have to search online to find more on invasive plants for your area? There’s really a lot to consider when buying plants. It’s not a bad idea to look closely at your area your wanting to plant in and make a list how much sun or shade that area will have? How big or small you want the plants to be and/or what’s the largest plant will fit where you want to plant it? May even want to check your soil if it’s clay or not, clay won’t drain well! So you may need to amend your soil by digging out a large area fairly deep and put in a good garden soil to plant in. Something I have to do a lot myself being my property is all clay too! Hope this gives you a better idea to see what plants to buy!
  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 03, 2018
    One good way to remember the difference between perennials and annuals is this: PERennials are PERmanent. Annuals, well, you buy them this year ANNUAL buy them again next year:) Also, there are plants that are annuals, but are self seeding, like Marigolds and Morning Glories. So, you can also check for 'self seeding' plants. Mint plants are invasive, so much so, that my lemon mint has been regulated to become a short hedge, we have an agreement. I trim it a lot, it's pretty and smells great:) The Spearmint and I are in discussions. Mint is good for keeping mosquitoes away, I don't have many mosquitoes in my yard. There are a lot of websites you can check out to see what grows in your area. Good luck.
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 03, 2018
    Perennials, check with local nursery to see what plants in your zone and light condtions, and soil to find the best fit.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 04, 2018
    Don't always rely on what the tags say on plants at big box stores, it may actually not be a perennial in your zone, so make sure you know if it actually is a plant you can keep in your area, or if it will need to be dug up and replanted each year.
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 04, 2018
    You should look for perennials. Check on line for plants suitable for your location and whether they require shade or not. The information will also give you the growth pattern as to height and width.
  • Sun23493940 Sun23493940 on Mar 04, 2018
    Lily of the valley. It is a fast growing ground cover. Smells good when it is in Blum.

• Debbie Blackey Debbie Blackey on Mar 05, 2018
    I would not suggest lily of the valley. It can be invasive. I have spent years getting out of my gardens.. But it does make a difference what kind of garden you want and where you plant it, because it is beautiful.