Asked on Mar 9, 2018

All of a sudden my portable dishwasher is leaving a chalky film, why?

AliceLaura CooperLinda Sikut
+4

no change in detergent lately either. I only use hot water when I set it up.
could there be a problem with the hot water heater,if so. Remedies appreciated.

Janet Pizaro

could be a issue with the water, but could also be the dishwasher needs cleaning.check the bottom for any food particles.Run the machine empty with a bole of white vinegar or orange juice through a cycle
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

If you have a booklet you received when you purchased it check the troubleshooting otherwise go to Google and look for the brand dishwasher and check troubleshooting. Good luck!
  • Dfm
    Dfm

one possibility is lime scale...run w/o dishes using vinager and see if it looks any better. The new dish washers need to be cleaned periodically.I do home canning so I feed mine a couple tablespoons af citric acid every so often. There was a myo dishwasher pellet that just thrashed the interior of the dish washer white film on every thing. I’ll keep my store bought stuff.
  • Amy Ogden-Paparone
    Amy Ogden-Paparone

Hi Connie!
    I had that problem to and was told to use Finish detergent tabs and Jet Dry. Now I don't have that problem anymore.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Connie,
    It sounds like your dishwasher needs a thorough cleaning. If you haven't done it lately, pull out the shelves and clean around the bottom, especially near the drain. Use a vinegar and water solution (50/50 of each). If there are spots, use baking soda. When you have finished that, put the shelves back in then put a small bowl of full strength vinegar on the top shelf. Run the dishwasher to remove any hard water marks. Also when you do a load, use vinegar on a regular basis. You can put it in the place where you'd put Jet Dry or put some in a small bowl on the top shelf regularly. The vinegar will help keep your dishwasher clean and make you dishes sparkle. Wishing you the best!
  • Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

I agree with Linda!
  • Alice
    Alice

There could be several reasons.
    1) Hard water
    2) Too much detergent
    3) Water is not hot enough

Try this : Use a gallon of white vinegar in the dishwasher on a normal cycle with no dishes. (The vinegar will break down any gunk or residue in the dishwasher and clean it out – Repeat several times if needed)