How to wash dingy white sheer curtains

+10
  • Amanda Amanda on Mar 23, 2018
    Hello. Try soaking them in bleach water. It always works for me.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Mar 23, 2018
    Gentle wash with some white T-shirt’s. They help “scrub”. Then soak in some Oxy or Spic and Span or other serious cleaner. Then wash again, gently, and rinse with a low “spin” cycle. I never put mine in the dryer. I take them out immediately and lay them out on the table while I hang them wet or iron them, depending on my enthusiasm.
  • Annmazza Annmazza on Mar 23, 2018
    I have white lace curtains all over my house, and the only thing that gets the gray out of them is a good soak in warm water with Clorox II. Chlorine bleach will damage the delicate fabric, or yellow it badly. I put my curtains in the dryer for just a few minutes to get the wrinkles out. Have a sofa or a large flat surface to lay them out on, the instant the curtains come out of the dryer.
  • Teresa Teresa on Mar 24, 2018
    Put lemon juice on them and hang in the sun then laundry as normal
  • Debbie Kildau Debbie Kildau on Mar 24, 2018
    Use proxide. Works good !
  • Marlene O'Halloran Marlene O'Halloran on Mar 24, 2018
    Soak in Oxy-clean for a few days. I have removed old tea stains from very old linens and they sparkle.
  • Dusty Dusty on Mar 24, 2018
    Agree with OxyClean as a treatment - I have sprayed it on old stains and left alone for several hours and it works great.. It's main ingredient that does the magic is hydrogen peroxide in some form! Then I would follow with gentle wash with t-shirts as Jcraw suggests! Good idea with t-shirts, Jcraw!
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Mar 24, 2018
    After soaking in bleach, hang in direct sunlight for several hours to further bleach them. If they are a natural fabric (cotton or linen) they should bleach out really well. Unfortunately, synthetics don't always lighten up and may stay yellowish.
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Mar 24, 2018
    soak in Oxi Clean overnight then wash. I hang mind back up to dry instead of risking shrinkage in dryer.
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Mar 24, 2018
    oxiclean
  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 05, 2021

Assuming they’re polyester or nylon, and no cotton nor silk, then yes, generic oxiclean (dollar store) works with a bit of clear dish detergent as a surfactant.

• Em Em on Jan 05, 2021

I would soak in oxygen bleach according to the package directions. If the curtains are heavily stained, use twice the recommended amount. You may also add 1/2 cup of one of the following: vinegar, lemon juice, borax, washing soda, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide and then wash on gentle cycle in machine.