How do I remove wax from travertine/grout?

+25
i left a wax candle outside on a sunny day (I live in AZ) and it melted all over our travertin/grout patio. I scraped it off but it is dark where the wax seemed to “absorb.” Any good housekeeping remedies on removing the wax?
q how do i remove wax from travertine grout
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 23, 2018
    Lay tissue down and direct a hairdryer onto the area, with the hope it might melt it.........or you could try talc or other powder, lay foil on top and use h/d.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 23, 2018
    If you can get an extension cord to reach, cover the wax with newspaper then put a warm iron it. The iron will melt the wax and the paper will absorb it. Keep moving the paper until all is absorbed.
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 23, 2018
    Try a paper towel with the heat of an iron.
  • Bonnie Bonnie on Mar 24, 2018
    Your candle was probably made from paraffin wax, which is oil-based. So now that you've removed the solid wax, you still have an oil stain that has penetrated the stone. Try this product made specifically for treating stone with oil stains:
  • V Smith V Smith on Mar 24, 2018
    I would suggest waterless hand cleaner (Gojo). Apply it to dry tile scrub it in with a brush then wash it away with detergent (Dawn) and warm water. You may have to repeat the process if it is really imbedded in the grout
  • Jacquienina Jacquienina on Mar 24, 2018
    Steam?

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 24, 2018
    You need to heat it with a steamer or iron, layered newspaper or a cotton tea towel between the heat and the tile, keep changing it out until all the wax is absorbed, don't put the iron or heat directly on the tile, use layered newspapers or cotton tea towels. The tea towels can be laundered clean afterwards
  • Pour boiling water over it, scrub with dawn dish soap, pour boiling water again. Repeat as necessary. You might have to wait for it to dry out to see results
  • Pjj11945116 Pjj11945116 on Mar 24, 2018
    I used and old brow paper bag a towel on top and a hot iron it works every time good luck hope this helps
  • Francios Francios on Mar 24, 2018
    Put a thin layer of sawdust over the stained part then apply a hot iron on top of the sawdust. The hot iron should melt any wax and the sawdust will absorb it. This will obviously have to be repeated dependant on how absorbent the tiles are.
  • Alice Elaine Lord Alice Elaine Lord on Mar 24, 2018
    Watching. I've tried all of these!
  • Leah Leah on Mar 24, 2018
    If this an oil type stain left, Krud Kutter will do the job. Has many uses. For this I would use full strength. It strips polish diluted. Some one said it took off old varnish. I used it on my kitchen cabinets diluted, and then used furniture restore. 18 year old cabinets look new. Cleans a grill. My husband used it on old stain on car carpet, it worked. To me it would be worth a try. Since good for other things, not a waste of money.

• Jul29075483 Jul29075483 on Mar 24, 2018
    Great tip! I will get some and try it. Thank you for taking your time to respond.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply--I will check into it as an option. Have a great day.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
  • Delle Delle on Mar 24, 2018
    Brown paper, as in a paper bag, is one of the best materials for absorbing paraffin wax and oil. Place it over the stain, then hold an iron (not too hot!) directly on the paper. Or use a hair dryer to heat it.
  • Dottiewilkie Dottiewilkie on Mar 24, 2018
    The wax (oily residue) has penetrated the stone, you will HAVE to use a poltice, mix baking soda, or cornstarch with water to make a thin paste, cover the stain about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep and loosely cover with plastic wrap (to slow drying) as it dries it pulls the oil into the poltice and you brush it away, (be sure it’s throgghly dry. Be patient it may take a couple of times, but you’ll see the difference each time. Please don’t use household cleaners as some can ruin (permanently stain or even etch) your stone. Good luck!
  • Christel Christel on Mar 24, 2018
    I agree with Dottiewilkie! Good Luck! :)
  • Susan Susan on Mar 25, 2018
    I'm the Sexton of my Orthodox church in Ma. When I took over the job two years ago there was candle wax all over the stone floor in front of the candle stand. I tried everything from hot iron to cleaners to remove wax. I found that the magic eraser did a wonderful job with little or no work involved. It's worth a try.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 25, 2018
    Hope it works for you.........If not contact a tile co and ask what you should do?
  • Jackie Jackie on Mar 25, 2018
    I've always placed newspaper over the spot and then used a hot iron over the newspaper. As the wax comes up keep moving the newspaper so it'll absorb. Good luck! Hopefully you can let us know who had the best answer.