Asked on Mar 30, 2018

What can i do to rid the house of rancid smelling odor and clothes

Melanie CzokaMargaretGinny
+19

my mother is living with me at this time , she works in a deli working with deep fryers , her clothes reek of rancid oil but it is making the house smell too ,

• Lina Splichal
    Lina Splichal

First of all, contact the Deli or the FDA to report the use of rancid oil. Secondly, do not eat anything fried from that Deli until they take care of the problem. As for your house, the best solution would be for your mother to wash her clothes and herself as soon as she gets home to stop further odors. For the existing odors you can use a number of air-cleaning solutions or devices. My favorites are: using vinegar or bleach in your cleaning solutions; and simmering herbs and spices on your stove top or in your crock pot. Good luck.

• Quarantine all dirty laundry somewhere, garage, wherever, until you have enough to do a full load. I also suggest adding baking soda and vinegar to the laundry to be sure that it is completely washed out. Place fresh lavender and bay leaves in the closets too along with a box of baking soda and even a few lumps of real charcoal.
  • Bijous
    Bijous

Have you ever had a diaper pail? Same concept only larger. Get a container with a top. If wash is done frequently, a 5 gallon paint bucket (sold at the big box stores) is perfect. Fill with water, borax , baking soda and vinegar. The mixture will depend on your tolerance for the smell of vinegar, but if you don't mind it, it's equal - one cup. Fill with water. When mom comes home from work, in the clothes go, everything. Spray her shoes with underarm deodorant. Come wash day, just wring out the clothes and put in wash. Good luck.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I have had good like with the tide sport detergent for getting odors out of clothes. I also put vinegar into the softener bowl. I like the suggestion with a separate closeable container for her clothes. I hope you can find a solution, as that is not a pretty odor for a house.
  • Linda
    Linda

Even unscented candles are good for clearing the air from odors. A little tea candle can do wonders. I would get a large multi pack from Ikea or Walmart and burn those several days a week or as needed. Good luck!
  • Ginny
    Ginny

I remember looking at a home for sale that had vinegar in a bowl on the kitchen table, and the realtor said the vinegar helped get rid of smells.
  • Margaret
    Margaret

My husband worked in a restaurant and the only thing I found that worked was to have him take off his clothes for me to immediately put in the washer while he showered. I did the same with my daughter's ski clothes and my uniform when I was a park ranger with only one uniform. I also did it with my daughter's tour guide uniform when she worked on the railroad the summer after high school... tired, sleepy, expensive, whatever it takes to keep looking nice for work and having a fresh smelling home... even if you have to hand wash them and iron them dry if they don't dry overnight.
  • Melanie Czoka
    Melanie Czoka

Soak her clothes in dish liquid and rinse before washing. Wash everyday after work.
  • Melanie Czoka
    Melanie Czoka

I worked in fast food and I hated the smell of my clothes when I got home from work