Contact paper on Counter tops

+8
If i recover my counter tops with contact paper can i then put a coat or 2 of varnish on afterwards to give it more protection?

• William William on Apr 09, 2018
    Contact paper is basically vinyl. Really no need to seal it. You can use at least three coats of a water based polyurethane. Oil polyurethane or varnish will give a yellowish tinge and yellow over time. One thing to consider if you ever plan to remove it it will be harder with the sealer.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 09, 2018
    that is not necessary.Is this a temporary situation as there are other options instead
    • B. Roberts B. Roberts on Apr 12, 2018
      I live on my own (pensioner) but have lots of family etc visit.I'm hoping this will last a few years at least. Thankyou. Barbara

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Apr 09, 2018
    Just do the Contact Paper - it won't last forever but has a nice vinyl coating.
  • Tae Tae on Apr 09, 2018
    i would say use poly if anything at all
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Apr 09, 2018
    Not sure what your countertop is covered with now, but if you can find a small piece of that you could try it out on that first, and see how you like it before going full speed ahead.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 09, 2018
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Apr 09, 2018
    Sounds as if Contact paper is on the countertop now. I understand, after you have found the perfect Contact paper and carefully applied it, that you would want to protect it. I wouldn’t use varnish on anything near a stove. But one of the polys would be safe if you don’t use it on a backsplash. Best wishes ☺️
  • Alice Alice on Apr 12, 2018
    I’ve just put EZFaux vinyl film on my countertops which looks like white/gray marble. I have a counter section about 9 inches wide right next to my stove and I plan to put a coat or two of polycril over it to protect it from abrasion from pots, frequent washing, etc. I’ve seen that recommended on Hometalk and other sites. More important: always use a cutting board and never pot hot pots on it without protection underneath.