Asked on Apr 13, 2018

Would like to change kitchen cupboards, now out of date by 15yrs

DebkerRaivain BrownLaura Cooper
+4

Would like to do so on a budget
q would like to change kitchen cupboards now out of date by 15yrs
out of date would like to update...
  • Amanda

Hi Janet. I would paint them and add new hardware.

• Dysko7710

You can paint them. The key is to use a good adhesive primer first and then a good enamel/latex paint, here are some good tutorials on this (including on that does not prime, but uses milk paint and a good sealer):

• Rosalia

So much you could do! You could add bead board in the inset and paint them white (Or really any colour). Or maybe use a nice gel stain and seal it with poly? I’d probably go with grey but there’s a multitude of choice for colours for gel stains as well so it’s a matter of taste. I’m doing mine in a grey stain and then white washing them. I attached a picture of my test run. New hardware as well makes a world of difference for updating, which I’d probably also move to the bottoms of the doors. Have fun, planning and creating is so much fun!

• Laura Cooper

I agree with Amanda. A nice grey or blue is very popular. The gold trim might require a little extra primer due to golds bleeding through easily. I would choose one color because the two tone is really what dates it.

• Raivain Brown

You have nice line décor on your doors. I would cut out the inside wood and use plexy glass that has been sanded down to create the etched glass look. I did that for side window covers for an A/C window unit. Creates privacy without looking tacky. Painting the cabinets black or any other color will give the effect of modern cabinets, oh and change the hardware to match the new look. If you add motion sensor lights to the top of the cabinets they can light up the plexy glass and make them look like the totally unaffordable modern custom cabinets. :)

• Raivain Brown

Could not put picture in same post for some reason. I think something like this would look good. It's about 26 dollars for the thin material at the hardware store for a 2x3 sheet, they cut it to size too.

, This is the expensive version of the cabinets I was telling you about
  • Debker

Paint them a solid color, and if you can afford it, change the handles