How can I keep neighbors water from sprinklers off my side of home?

+14
The neighbors next door have a sprinkler system that seems to be on all the time. i had to replace a wooden fence which had rotted (now I know why). Now I have a block fence but the water seeps through blocks. I have puddles all the time (see pics) I’ve only been in this home one year.
q how can i keep neighbors water from sprinklers off my side of home
Side door
Water from next door
Puddles of water
More puddles
  • Missy Burch Missy Burch on May 01, 2018
    WOW! That's property damage! If you're in a HOA, document & go to them for help. If not, document & go to the city, or get a lawyer. You have a claim for a lawsuit! They have to fix their sprinklers asap! If you don't want to talk to them, get it done through the proper channels.
    • Ter25907647 Ter25907647 on May 01, 2018
      This section of the city does not have an HOA. I would talk to the neighbors if they would be home. They’re at work all the time.
  • Flipturn Flipturn on May 01, 2018
    I would say that the heads on the sprinkler spouts that are closest to your property are not set correctly. They are either set too high, or they are angled to spray the water in your direction.
    The heads can be either re-set, or replaced with heads that do not over spray outside of their property.
    If this does not prevent dousing your side of their fence, then the heads should be completely capped off.
    The neighbor's inattentiveness in correctly managing the maintenance of their yard is disrespectful to, and is clearly interfering with you being able to take proper care of, and enjoy your yard. You are not responsible for footing the bill for their negligence.
  • Beth W Beth W on May 01, 2018
    Have you shown these pics to the neighbors? Sometimes people are unaware of how they do something that negatively impacts others. They might be able to change where the sprinkles originate the water flow. If all else fails maybe They can install a French drain on their side of their wall.
  • William William on May 01, 2018
    Talk to the neighbors. If you have and they don't want to do anything about it get in touch with your village hall. They may be able to help. Otherwise get a lawyer and have him send a "Cease and Desist" letter to them. There is no reason you should have this problem. You can sue them. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment on your property.
  • Sharon Sharon on May 01, 2018
    I would talk to them or leave them a polite letter to fact that maybe they aren't aware their sprinklers on (side) are damaging your property, and could they please have them (sprinkler heads) adjusted to prevent them from spraying your property wall. Send it certified and keep a copy. Then if you have to pursue a legal claim in small claims you will have proof you've asked nicely.
  • Beth W Beth W on May 01, 2018
    Leave a note with your pictures politely requesting they fix the problem.
  • Betsy Betsy on May 01, 2018
    I agree with Beth. Leave a note and pictures taped to their front door. Give them a time frame in which to contact you, i.e., "I'm not sure if you are aware of the water issue that I am facing because of your sprinklers, but if you would please contact me so that we can address this issue, by (Date), I'd appreciate it. I know you both work a lot and may not be aware of this, but I'd hate to take other avenues to resolve this problem amicably. As you can see from the pictures, it is ruining my home and creating a mess. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter." Your soggy neighbour, Terry.
  • Betsy Betsy on May 02, 2018
    Good luck. My neighbour is a real putz and I would have to take her to court to resolve even a minor issue. Hopefully your neighbour is a bit more accommodating:) Good luck with this.
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 03, 2018
    they can adjust the sprinklers so they don't hit your yard just tell them you want them to do that and show them the damages
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 03, 2018
    if you have a county code enforcement dept they will send someone out to investigate and will talk to homeowner
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on May 06, 2018
    You have to talk to the neighbors and show them a video of the sprinklers in action and the damage on your property. If they are never home, leave them a kind note and ask them to call you.