Lilac bush is over 40 years old. Fading color and fragrance.

+4
What can we do to bring it back to what it once was.

• Amanda Amanda on May 11, 2018
    Hello. I had one that this happened to. It was very woody in the center and no growth on the bottom. What I did was cut it back so it was about 4'. It doesn't look so nice at first but it will fill in and get new growth at the bottom. Good Luck.
  • Sally Wiese Sally Wiese on May 11, 2018
    I would think a 40 year old bush has given you all it has. Dig some clumps from it, all the shoots that came up and left there to grow. Start over and start a new one. Maybe start cutting it back? I would say, start over using the old bush as the starter.
  • Ellis Ellis on May 12, 2018
    You can rejuvenate a very old or overgrown lilac in stages, by cutting out the oldest, woodiest stems at the bottom. Do a bit each year, perhaps a third of the bush's stems, taking care not to cut the newer ones. It takes time, the bush doesn't always look great, but it works.
  • Ellis Ellis on May 13, 2018
    It is best to do it right after the flowers fade, so now is the time in most places. Otherwise, you lose blooms for next spring. But if your lilac isn't producing very well, you won't be losing that much.