How to take wall paper down

+6
I want to take old wall paper down
  • Funnygirl Funnygirl on May 18, 2014
    I took down(or tried) to take down 30 yr old wallpaper.It was a disaster.If it appears to be that old and when you try to pull up a section and you if you are unable to pull it down in a section( which they refer to as strippable),save your self the aggravation and either rent a steamer at Home Depot for the day for about 20.00,or borrow one from a friend or purchase one on craigslist.Make sure if you are reapplying paper you prime the new surface with sizing,so next time it will super easy to strip
  • Check out this answer http://www.hometalk.com/885083/what-s-the-best-way-or-technique-to-remove-wallpaper or simply do a search on top of page for wallpaper removal. This topic is well covered in many of the answers there as well.

What's the best way or technique to remove wallpaper?

• Beverly Alley Beverly Alley on May 18, 2014
    I mix warm water and vinegar in a spray bottle and dampen the area you want to peel off. Let sit a few minutes then take a scraper and gently scrape the area. It worked for me taking off several layers of wallpaper. Its a little harder if it has been painted between the layers.
  • Robin H Robin H on May 18, 2014
    Seriously, save yourself some grief and rent a steamer from a local equipment rental company. They aren't that much to rent and it will make the job easier on you physically AND mentally! They work on sheet rock OR plaster and the old plaster and lath walls. Your back will thank!
  • Carol Carol on May 18, 2014
    I am often asked to take down wallpaper for clients in preparation to paint. My advice to them is always, "if it doesn't want to come down once it's been soaked with hot water, it isn't going to come down if you paint over it." I would not just paint it, however. I would skim coat the wall with drywall compound and sand it smooth. Prime and paint. This way, the entire wall gets wet and if the paper releases in small areas, they can be taken down and the rough spot covered with compound. Once done, you'll never know there was wallpaper there. Good luck!
  • Bev Kent Bev Kent on May 18, 2014
    a spray bottle with hot water and pinesol works great but you have to let it soak in before you scrape
  • Lisa Kehrer Westbrook Lisa Kehrer Westbrook on May 10, 2016
    Absolutely! I have a close steamer and it took me 10 a15 minutes to have my wall paper co Pretext off one whole wall of my loving room. Easy
  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Dec 21, 2020

Hi Candy, there are lots of posts here that can help you: Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jan 31, 2021

Here are some way you can remove it https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=How%20to%20take%20wall%20paper%20down&rs=typed&term_meta[]=How%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=to%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=take%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=wall%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=paper%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=down%7Ctyped