Does anyone has experience with cherry trees?

+5
Lots of flowers & buds but then lots of tiny cherries just fall off tree never getting bigger enough to eat or ripen. Is this normal?

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 09, 2018
    some trees self pollinate some don’t I’m not sure where the cherry trees are on that scale. Unfortunately I’m at work right now....you might want to google it. I tend to think that there are male and female cherry trees.
    • Gnomegirl Gnomegirl on Jun 09, 2018
      I do have 2 trees to help with pollination as told by garden center. Someone else said I should prune branches to help cherries grow bigger & stronger. Too many thin & tall branches. If pruned way down...the nutrients will go to the cherries. That makes sense to me. Thanks for your answer though.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 09, 2018
    If it is a wild woodland cherry, then that is normal ( food for the birds), but if it is a cultivated Fruit Tree, then maybe it needs more water to swell the fruit?
    • Gnomegirl Gnomegirl on Jun 11, 2018
      Thankyou about the watering tip. We have had rain but I will try to water more often this year & see how that goes in addition to pruning down too tall branches.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jun 09, 2018
    you may also have an 'Ornamental' Cherry -- one grown only for the flowers and not an edible fruit
  • Gnomegirl Gnomegirl on Jun 11, 2018
    It is an edible cherry. We did get some cherries last year that were good size but it disturbs me to see so many dropping off before maturity.