How to get paint to stick to a plastic rain barrel

+5
Tried sanding, priming, then painting with our house paint. Paint peeled after one season (barrel was empty). Then tried applying wallpaper with outdoor Mod Podge. Although it was on tight, after a rain, it bubbled! What now?
q how to get paint to stick to a plastic rain barrel
  • Nonni Nonni on Jun 11, 2018
    There is a spray paint made by a major maker especially for plastic. It may also come in brush on.
  • Charlene Charlene on Jun 12, 2018
    I use krylon paint, but I also use a fine grit sand paper to rough up the surface.
  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Jun 12, 2018
    You have to be careful about the surface you use housepaint on because as you found out it peels. You need to get the special spray paint for plastics. And be sure to follow directions such as slightly sanding the surface.
  • Maureen Maureen on Jun 12, 2018
    Rustoleum makes a spray paint for outdoor plastic and etc. I used it on patio table and chairs. I takes alot of paint.
  • P P on Jun 13, 2018
    I used Krylon for plastic. Mine gets alot of sun and still lucky to get two seasons. Spraying is easy so I get to change colors.
  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Jun 13, 2018
    Another option is to use vinyl stickers on the rain barrel (if it's smooth sided). That would be the decoration instead of painting.
  • William William on Jun 13, 2018
    Krylon Fusion is made for plastic.
  • Em Em on Jan 09, 2020

Use paints that are specifically formulated to adhere to plastics. There are several available on the market such as Krylon Fusion for Plastic® , Valspar® Plastic Spray Paint , and Rust-Oleum Specialty Paint For Plastic Spray . If using regular spray paint then your item will need to be primed.