Asked on Jun 30, 2018

How to repair porcelain floor tile that has a nick and a crack in it.

Fiddledd224KimVimarhonor
+8

This is a SnapStone porcelain tile system that has been grouted. Thank you,

Debbie

The next nick is white

• OceeB
    OceeB

Hi D, One option is to remove the grout and replace the damaged tile. That may not be simple since you may not have extra tile etc. You could try taking a photo and go to a tile store to see how well they could match. The grout would be next issue and you might have to re-stain all grout so that will match. Wish it was more simple.. good luck
    • D
      D

I just found the reply from my original request in May. Check out picobello taking care of your home. It gives step by step process with a video. Thanks for all those suggestions.
  • Pat
    Pat

Can you stipple it with paint or sharpy pens? Probably would not be permanent but will hide the scratch temporarily..
  • Archie
    Archie

I'd find a furniture touch up pen close to one of those colors, touch up the spot, then put a thin coat of epoxy on it. You can use a razor blade to get it thin. Nobody will notice it but you.
  • Kim
    Kim

purchase some small bottles of acrylic craft paint the similar colors of the tile and using a small paint brush, dabble the paint in the white chipped area until it’s blended. The acryluc paint will hold up to the wear and tear! I’ve done this and it works!

• D
      D

There is a chip out, not just a crack. Will the paint fill up the small hole. This is in the foyer, so gets lots of traffic. Do you think it will hold up?
  • Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello Debbie.
    I have patched decorative ceramics and pottery many times.
    Your problem appears to be on the top surface and trying a repair, before doing a full tile replacement seems worth while. The tiles color and design are excellent for a disguised repair.

I would fill it and paint the filler patch reoair with craft type satin multipurpose acrylics, unless a gloss finish was desired.

The filler would be something -to place in the defect flush-that I’ve used before and have on hand, examples might be one of the following 1-wood filler, 2-or using the epoxy stick, or 3-even using acrylic nail filler which is an acrylic powder and superglue type bonding.
    Hope this helps!
  • Kim
    Kim

Yes it will work. Mine held up great
  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

This is an easy one! Use 2 or 3 Sharpies in the tile colors and dab them into the white spots...blend with a Q-tip!