Large roots in garden

Jeffrey Miichael AtencioJan ClarkGloria
+2

I have had a horrible problem with poison ivy this year. A very good friend sprayed and cleaned out all but some large roots. I am not sure what the roots are but, I want them gone. Help....

• Gloria

Apply Round Up with a sponge directly to those roots only to kill the base of the plant.
  • Jan Clark

Make sure the roots are not tree or shrub 'runners' looking for water in this dry summer. If they are, you can simply cut them back with a sharp shovel.
  • Jeffrey Miichael Atencio

Are there any trees around? Big roots can extend for 100 feet depending on the tree. If it's not a tree, then use a reciprocating saw (SawZall) and cut the roots out. Use roofing paint for mobile homes to seal the cut root so nothing can grow again. Then spray root poison for exposed poison ivy to kill the root completely. Tough to kill.
    • The25643752

Thank you so much, I do have an interloping Wisteria. I will purchase some of the paint.

• Jeffrey Miichael Atencio

My pleasure. Wisteria is hard to kill off.