Shelly Herzhaft
Shelly Herzhaft
  • Muskegon, MI

Cleaning old cabinets

Shelly HerzhaftLisa S.DeAnna
+2

I have 20 yr old dark cabinets that I want to paint. They look like they have never been washed/cleaned. Can I use a vinegar and soap mix to clean them or should I use a more industrial cleaner before painting and should I sand at all to use chalk paint?

• It sounds like they might be pretty dirty. I'd try TSP. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I'd give them a quick 'scuff' before painting.
  • DeAnna

Buy some TSP you can usually find it at a hardware store. Follow directions on the package. I used this to wash upper and lower kitchen cabinets before painting them and it worked great.
  • Lisa S.

If you are painting use TSP.

• Shelly Herzhaft

Thanks for the tips! TSP it is, hands down, many recommendations and going to use it. Thanks again everyone.

• Shelly Herzhaft