What to do with horse chestnuts??

Garden Up Green - CaroleSandraCaligramma
+7

Help! We have a tree that produces about 5 gallons of these beautiful dark shiny nuts each year - as far as I can tell they are ”horse chestnuts” which you can’t eat - but have no idea how to use them other than in glass tube with a candle. Any ideas or where to sell them for medicinal use?
q what to do with horse chestnuts
q what to do with horse chestnuts
  • Emily

I think you can eat these. Our neighbors had such a tree and I also collected them, but did not use them except maybe in a bowl or such.
  • PATRICK SCHNEIDER

Sell them to Ohio State Buckeye fans.

• Keri

Where I live people often carry one in their pocket for good luck! But they are not edible!! They could make a pretty wreath for fall if attached to a foundation to hang.

• Tracy Floer

They keep away spiders! I put them in bowls in my basement and they are pretty just in a bowl on your table!!
  • Caligramma

Plant them and you can have beautiful Buckeye Trees! Someone oiled them and made a beautiful table display. As kids we used to see how far we could throw them, or try to get a needle thru them to string them together.

• Sandra

"Let buckeye nuts dry in single layor or heat them in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple hours. Do not store them in a plastic bag or they may mold. Drill a hole in them (1/16 inch bit ) then string them into a buckeye necklace or garland for decorating. Try putting glass beads inbetween each buckeye nut for a more festive look. You can spray them with a clear acrylic after they are dry to help keep the buckeye nut shiny. A home made buckeye necklace will make a great gift because are said to bring good luck"

• Garden Up Green - Carole

If they grow in a green spiky cover you can eat them but you have to boil and then peel the nut open. Do a little more research on that before trying it. However we had these growing up and my grandmother made a garland out of them. Was really pretty.