Asked on Aug 6, 2018

What is causing brown streak lines on clothing from top load washer?

Katie F.Chubby58Amanda Bishop
+4

what is causing brown streak lines on clothes coming out of top loading washing machine?

• Michelle Lynes
    Michelle Lynes

I’d try running some vinegar through it and look for some rust.

• Judy
    Judy

Unfortunately, I had this happen too.

We finally found rust in the washer drum.

Me fixed it by painting but cleaning the rust first. I believe it’s an enamel paint.

• Amanda Bishop
    Amanda Bishop

You may need to run a cleaning cycle on your washer with hot water and vinegar or bleach

• Chubby58
    Chubby58

It could be grease coming from your motor. I would have a professional check it out. Also check to see if the ridge between the top and the tube is all clean.

• Katie F.
    Katie F.

Hard water (iron content) when used to wash clothes will make brown spots/streaks especially if bleach is used in the wash! Very hard to get out!

• Russbow
      Russbow

Iron does not cause hardness it water. Calcium and Magnesium are the culprits, but you are correct about the stains. Do a search for "chemical to remove iron stains from clothes" lemon juice seems to be the preferred, but others are listed.

• Katie F.
    Katie F.

Thank you !