Asked on Aug 8, 2018

How do you restore gardener fingernails?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignLinTwyla J Boyer
+6

I've tried every combination of brushes and cleaning products I can think of to remove staining from the under-surface of my nails. Help!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi,

This is a common problem for those of us that love to do gardening.

As they say, an ounce of prevention! Get yourself some good waterproof garden gloves!

Personally, handwashing dishes helps.

Another way is to bleach with fresh lemon juice, just poke you fingertips into a half lemon, 1 half for each hand.

As a final resort, cut your fingernails, you probably don't want to hear that.

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Kma,

When I was younger, the "trick" of the times was to run your fingernails over a bar of soap or through some Vaseline before putting on your garden glove to tackle the garden work. :) That's for the "blast from the past." :)

Linda

• Candace
    Candace

Try soaking in lemon juice! ( a tip from my awesome, amazing nail tech) or stating the obvious without malice....try gardeners gloves! There’s amazing ones on the market that’ll protect your nails and still allow you to “feel” 😊

• Annette Houle
    Annette Houle

Goo gone or goof off at hardware store

• Jokarva
    Jokarva

I keep a nail brush in the shower, and as I'm washing my hair I use the brush and some of the shampoo foam to scrub under my nails. That even took out the oil stain I was using yesterday.

• Mary
    Mary

Go to the place in the store that sells finger nail polish remover. Look for the "round" containers, that have a sponge inside, and the sponge has a slit in the middle of it. You stick your finger into the slit of the sponge, and then twirl your finger around in the slit. I twirl around for 30 seconds, and then check my nails. If they are still dirty, I do the swirl around in the slit of the sponge again, until the paint or dirt or stain is gone from my nails. After using this product for awhile, the sponge starts to dry out because the nail polish remover is being used to clean the nails, so I take the sponge out of the container, then wash it with dish soap and make sure it's clean, then I let it dry out, and once it's dry, I put it back into the contain, and then pour finger nail polish remover into the container until the sponge is wet from top to bottom. This has worked for me for years taking off paint and stains and nail polish.

• Twyla J Boyer
    Twyla J Boyer

This isn't good for your skin, but it's highly effective. Use Comet powder on a wet nail brush. Make sure to rinse really well and use a really good handcream afterwards.

• Lin
    Lin

soak in straight hydrogen peroxide and brush. Voila beautiful whit nails and cuticles.

• Make yourself a simple sugar scrub with sugar and olive oil. The oil works better at removing stain because stain is oil based and oil loves oil. It tries to hide from water. Afterwards, your hands will feel amazing.