Asked on Aug 16, 2018

How do I remove a laminate counter's integrated backsplash?

ArchieWilliamKathy Gunter Law

I would like to try doing a concrete top over my existing laminate countertop. But it has a built in 4 inch backsplash that I want to get rid of. Any ideas on how to remove this back splash WITHOUT taking the whole countertop off?

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Use a vibrating saw (small handheld) to cut flush with existing countertop. You may have to place something between the saw and countertop to prevent scuffing. Buy a couple of extra blades because it will dull fairly quick.

William

Kathy's idea is a great solution. It would be low going and take time. I'm impatient so I would is a reciprocating saw (Sawzall).

• Archie
    Archie

If you have a backsplash that was added it will come off with no big problem. If your backsplash is at a 90degree and has a seam at the bottom between the countertop and backsplash you should be able to pry it off. You will need a piece of, perhaps a short piece of 1X4, for your prybar to rest against so you don't damage the wall. Work your prybar under the backsplash at the top and start prying.

Pry some then move down and do it again. Don't try to do it all at one time. It should come off but you will damage the wall and it will need to be repaired but it shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck.