How to remove the backsplash when part of the countertop?

My countertops and backsplash are all one piece, and at the wall it is curved, not squared. I want to redo the area of the counter to cabinet, and do a different refinish on the counter. Any ideas? House was built in the late 80's and the kitchen is slowly (new floors and appliances) getting redone.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Oct 11, 2018

Hi Nancy, if its laminate than it is wood than you could simply cut through it. If its stone you could also cut through it but the process is more difficult and requires a diamond blade and water as you cut. If you cut the top off of it, you could than find a thick enough backsplash to cover the cut, than you could also caulk between the backsplash and the countertop.

• Nancy Nichols Smith Nancy Nichols Smith on Oct 11, 2018

Thanks, now just have to find the time to do it... It is laminate. I was thinking to leave about 3-4 inches up the wall and do it with the countertop refinishing kit to a stone look, and then use a tile backsplash above it to the cabinets.

• William William on Oct 11, 2018

You got it! Countertop paint kit for the counter. Tile backsplash from the top of the counter. That's the way it's done.

• Hi Nancy. If your countertops are formica and the curved backsplash is about 4 inches high, you can refinish the entire piece. You can find kits at your local home improvement store. Above that, you can redo the wall anyway you like...tile, paint, stencils, wood, etc. I hope I envisioned this correctly!

It actually goes all the way up to the bottom of the cabinets, and partially down the side wall from cabinet height at a 45 angle back down to the flat of the counter. I intend to cut it off about 3 inches above the flat counter and create space for a backsplash. Now that I know it can be cut like wood - just need the time now to do it. Will post before and after once I get it started!