Asked on Aug 26, 2018

How do I keep weeds from my garden tub?

GrahameDoralenn CuellarVirginia
+4

what I planted grows but so does the weeds

• Oliva
    Oliva

Next year, use 3-4" of mulch around your desired plants, keeping it away from their main stems.

• Oliva
      Oliva

Hi, Doralenn,

Sorry for the delay. Yes, mulch in a mound, but away from main stem. BTY, so long as you don't plant seeds, you can add granular Preen atop the soil, after you're plants are in the container, then add the mulch, last (but water before you plant, and again, after mulching).

• Virginia
    Virginia

I just read on HGTV that if you sprinkle plain corn meal on soil AFTER the plants you want are up, that it keeps weed seeds from terminating. I will try this soon. Good luck

• Virginia
    Virginia

Germinating not terminating.lol dang phone

• Doralenn Cuellar
    Doralenn Cuellar

Thank you I will give this a try

• Grahame
    Grahame

You could use a ground sheet that just sits under the soil and you cut holes in the sheet to the size of the plants you have, this will stop most of the weeds from growing long roots. You may still get some weeds grow just around the hole which you cut out for your plants.

you could also use a weed killer to spray the soil a week or so before planting your plants. NEVER PLANT YOUR PLANTS BEFORE SPRAY NO.NO.NO. BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH IT HAS WEED KILLER ON THE BOTTLE IT WILL KILL ALL KINDS OF GROWING ROOTS WHERE SPRAYED. ALWAYS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON BACK

good luck