Asked on Aug 28, 2018

How do I paint aluminum siding?

Amd17958466Lin34002743Kelli L. Milligan
+2

Our aluminum siding from the 80’s has faded from the sun and power washing. We only want to paint the sunroom area as this is the area that needs it. What prep should we do to this area, prior to painting?

q how do i paint aluminum siding
  • Zard Pocleeb

I had the same problem. All I did for prep was to pressure wash it to remove any dirt and debris. After it dried I painted.

• Kathy Gunter Law

It has to be scrubbed very well with no flaking paint or chalky residue. Then prime and paint as you would any aluminum surface. I would recommend going to a paint store rather than a big box store's paint department for help in choosing the correct paint.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Talk to your local paint store pro. They can let you know what paint and prep is required for your area.

• Lin34002743

I'm just about to have go at ours! From my research online, I have decided on a course of action, starting with a thorough scuba down using a medium soft brush and a solution of vinegar and dish soap followed by a rinse using my power washer. I'll be taking care to protect my gardens with plastic drop cloths and directing the water over and away. After it's all dry, I'll be using a paint sprayer ( best purchase ever!) with an exterior metal paint. You can use Tremclad or Rustoleum, but Rona's home brand is what I've chosen, it's half the price! I will post my results when I'm finished. I'll also be tackling century old gingerbread trim, so wish me luck there!

• Amd17958466

Thanks for all suggestions!