How do you remove wallpaper glue off of walls?

+7

I bought a house that has out dated wallpaper on almost every wall. What is the best way to make sure the glue comes off so that I can paint the walls. I was told if I didn't get it all off, the paint won't stick 😲 please help 🤗

• Alice Alice on Sep 01, 2018

I had that - got wallpaper paste remover from hardware store, but have since read that a vinegar solution should work also.

• Bijous Bijous on Sep 01, 2018

Hi. Depends on how old the wallpaper is. If it's a latex glue, easy: 1 part vinegar 2 parts hot water. If it's a wheat glue, you may need to scrape or sand first then use the vinegar. Surprisingly wheat glue really sticks! And congrats on the new house.

• Mwa22390156 Mwa22390156 on Sep 01, 2018

Thanks, not sure how old, but I'll try one wall at a time and see what happens. Hoping to not have to sand.

• William William on Sep 01, 2018

I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot water to remove wallpaper. Also the same mixture to wash the glue residue.

• Patti Nicholas Patti Nicholas on Sep 01, 2018

After washing the walls it’s still important to prime them. Often there is a nearly invisible film left behind that will suddenly show up after the new paint drys.

• William William on Sep 01, 2018

After you clean the walls you can prime with Kilz.