Asked on Sep 3, 2018

How do I make the dishwasher smell better?

FlipturnPatRoseann8628
+8

I have a five year old Bosch. Best dishwasher I’ve ever had. Recently I have noticed an odd smell. Rather musty smelling. I have cleaned everything in the center drain area. I used to run it every other day but now run it only once a week or so. Could that be the problem? Should I run it more frequently? TIA

• Joanna Smith
    Joanna Smith

try running it empty with some vinegar and baking soda once a week, and leave the door cracked so it gets air circulation when not in use.

• Teacup8885
    Teacup8885

Sprinkle baking soda all over in it n put a dish full of vinagar on the top shelf , run on hot pot n pan cycle! If still smells, put a dish of bleach on top shelf on same setting!

• You can try running it one more time per week. Also add vinegar to a glass measuring cup and place it on the top rack and run a short cycle. Hope it helps! Hugs, Holly

• Scott Watson
    Scott Watson

Does this model possibly have a filter trap that needs to be emptied. Our GE does and requires a nut driver to disassemble. PIA

• Scott Watson
      Scott Watson

My manual never made mention of the filter. Found out after we removed the washer thinking the pump was failing to fully empty the unit. Saved me a lot of money. Could try and look up washer model and see if there is a exploded parts view that may show it as it needs to recycle water to power wash and not pump any solids

• RoseAnn
    RoseAnn

Once you have gotten rid of the musty smell aways scrub and rinse all traces of egg, raw or cooked, off everything before you put it in the dishwasher. The sulfuric acid in eggs causes a smell that doesn't rinse away during a normal cycle.

• Ssh21711118
    Ssh21711118

a solution of bleach water or vinigar and baking soda

• Roseann8628
    Roseann8628

A dishwasher repairman taught me this trick after I accidentally melted a Tupperware lid in my dishwasher and had a horrible acrid smell. Place a cereal-size bowl upright in top rack of dishwasher. Fill with 1-1 1/2 cups of vinegar and run the dishwasher. I was amazed how it eliminated the odor. Hope this is helpful. Good luck! :)

• Pat
    Pat

My dishwasher manual says to do like Roseanne8628 said.....put a dish or cup filled with 1 - 2 cups of vinegar on the top rack and run a normal load (empty) When the cycle is done I think you will notice no smell. I use my dishwasher about twice a week and run the vinegar cycle about every two months.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

If you are not planning to use the dishwasher in a while, after running the last load through, leave the door open to help ensure that the inside is totally dry. Every few days, leave the door open again for a few hours to help air it out.