Do I need to sand my cabinets (semi gloss paint ) before repainting?

+5

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Sep 07, 2018

Hi Maddie, after you clean them really good I would totally recommend at least hand sanding them lightly with fine grit sandpaper. It just really helps your next paint choice adhere a lot better and last longer.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Sep 07, 2018

Yes - lightly, and primed. Scrub first with TSP. Don't skip all this and try chalk paint. It will not hold up to kitchen cabinets.

• Maddie_51 Maddie_51 on Sep 07, 2018

Thanks for your input.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 07, 2018

Yes

• Yes you do. The person we talked to about repainting our cabinets said you need to sand and use a primer before painting to avoid any bubbling or peeling paint in the future

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Sep 12, 2018

Take one of the cabinet doors to the paint department of the home improvement store and ask them to select paint/stains and other finishes and application tools that will work for your kitchen. They have the best selection, the most up-to-date materials and most important, the most informative sales staff to get you what you need for a professional job.

• Maddie_51 Maddie_51 on Sep 12, 2018

Thanks everyone.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Sep 15, 2018

You're welcome! Hope you project turns out wonderful!