Wedding Help

+120
I recently booked a church for our wedding. Unfortunately I had forgotten that a graveyard surrounds the church. Not so good for informal wedding pictures that will be taken. Anyone have some good affordable ideas to hide the gravestones without putting anything on them? The picture shows how close the stones are to the doors. The church is pretty otherwise.Thanks for the advice!
wedding help, landscape, outdoor living
  • Jessica C Jessica C on Jun 21, 2014
    Could you rent a section of white picket fence to put in front of the stones? Otherwise some big pots of flowers would probably do wonders to cover them up. You could also put a few well placed banquet tables with long white table clothes in front of them and put containers of flowers on top to hide them. Good luck!
    • Melodie Hoffman Melodie Hoffman on Jun 22, 2014
      @Jessica C Thank you for the ideas! That gets my mind working and juices flowing! I never thought of using tables! Thanks for answering.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 22, 2014
    You can buy white vinyl lattice (4' W x 8' T sheets) at Home Depot...attach stakes with wire ties...(make sure they are tall enough to make it sturdy) add some ribbon and bows...don't add too much or it would be top heavy (draped tulle gives a wedding look). You will need only a couple of boards...more if you have a large crowd! This can make a beautiful backdrop. Take some large clear bowls and plant various color of impatients...just take them out of the pot and plantt them in the bowl...add a bow if you wish...or borrow beautiful potted plants, wrap pots in white (cheap) fabric or tissue paper with a bow in front to make them all match! Even small green plants look great. Just stand back where photographer will be standing to make sure you have blocked out the unwanted background. All of this can be done for under $100. If you want color, you can buy blooming flowers at WalMart for about $10.00 and the pots are in wrappers already. Be sure and post photos!
    • See 4 previous
    • Melodie Hoffman Melodie Hoffman on Jun 23, 2014
      @Barbara Ann I know someone who works at a floral shop. I could check and see what they have I guess. I will let you know what I come up with.Thanks for your advice!
  • Your photographer can probably angle you in the pictures such that the stones dont show. They are used to working around obstacles and making the pictures come out great.
    We were kind of worried that the stones didn't give a wedding atmosphere to our guests. Our formal pictures will be taken elsewhere but informal pictures would show the stones. Thanks for taking the time to answer though!
    • See 1 previous
      @Sharon Kavanagh I grew up around churches with graves around but my fiance didn't and was a little concerned about it. So I assured him we could think of something. The pastor of the church is a friend and donated the use of the church. I said "it's free,we''ll think of something!" lol
  • Meena M Meena M on Jun 22, 2014
    Haha well, it depends on the time of year and theme. Could always do a Halloween theme...seriously though, I like the idea of a temporary fence. Also, you could do some a little further away from the church maybe?
      @Meena M Lol I know but a church and ghosts don't mix well. I think the temporary fence is a good idea too.
  • Janine J Janine J on Jun 22, 2014
    Rent some plants & put them in from of the headstones.
  • Robin Sweetman Robin Sweetman on Jun 22, 2014
    We used two sections of inexpensive plastic picket fencing , and staged our entrance with potted plants and white benches we found at Goodwill, when all was done we placed the pots back in our garden and the fencing we have used over and over in our gardens, as Halloween, and Christmas decorations.
      @Robin Sweetman Oh benches are a good idea I hadn't thought of !! I do have a big backyard I will need to fill once we are married.Thanks for the advice!
  • Connie Terry Connie Terry on Jun 22, 2014
    how about trees and decorate the buckets and use mason jars with candles or small frames with photos of you guys in the frames.
      @Connie Terry Yes I do like that idea ! I have seen mason jar decorations a lot on pinterest. Thank you for another great idea!
  • Alannah Allbrett Alannah Allbrett on Jun 22, 2014
    Easy fix on Photoshop. Can be turned to grass
  • Laurie Laurie on Jun 22, 2014
    I agree..... I think the stones will add "character". It is a tribute to those who have passed and are now guests at your wedding...
  • Penny W Penny W on Jun 22, 2014
    Decorate with your wedding flowers
  • Tamara Tamara on Jun 22, 2014
    You won't need to buy a thing ... I am an event planner, I do weddings all of the time. You need to have your photographer stand in a bit closer, not use a wide angle. They can also stand off center, just to the right of the sidewalk, which will make for a far more interesting perspective. This will eliminate the headstones to the right of the building. Many couples go to another location to have photos taken. The Gazebo in town would make a lovely place for photos. There are covered bridges in your area as well as a beautiful river. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the headstones. Keep in mind, it is history. This is where you live, cemeteries are actually historic, tranquil, often beautiful. Congratulations and much happiness in your new life together.
      @Tamara Thank you for the tips. As I said above I grew up around churches and am use to the older historic ones with the gravestones. My fiance wasn't and so I told him we would find a way to make them less obvious. A covered bridge is a good idea for taking pictures though !
  • Jackie I Jackie I on Jun 22, 2014
    Nowadays with digital photography and good photographer should be able to edit out the headstones. If not just have the photos taken by the entrance doors or out on the grass facing the headstones instead of them being behind you. Outdoor pictures can be taken anywhere you choose. Focus on the inside of the church. Make sure your photographer gets lots of pics of each of you getting ready beforehand as well.
  • Diana T Diana T on Jun 22, 2014
    Well you are vowing to stay together til death do you part! Go back every year for an anniversary picture to show you meant those vows
  • Bjean Bjean on Jun 22, 2014
    If you're going to buy/rent plants of fencing, I'd sooner say use them to pretty up the left side of the church front, then take your pictures with the steps and outside of the building as your backdrop.
  • Bethany W. Bethany W. on Jun 22, 2014
    I agree...a decent photographer will be able to edit out the grave stones. Photoshop is wonderful.
  • Patty Cronin Patty Cronin on Jun 22, 2014
    One word, Photoshop!
  • Ellen B Ellen B on Jun 22, 2014
    Rent some room dividers that would compliment the church.
  • Tammy Lanes Tammy Lanes on Jun 22, 2014
    Built very inexpense frames out of plastic plumbing and hang complimentary fabric storm them. You could go 8-12" out. Burlap, colored burlap, Muslim, cheesecloth, whatever compliments your wedding.
  • June Butler June Butler on Jun 22, 2014
    Use some lattice panels off the sides of the building
  • Sherry Swift Sherry Swift on Jun 22, 2014
    They can be cropped out of the pics.
  • Robin K Robin K on Jun 22, 2014
    I would buy 2 or 3 sheets of plastic lattice style fencing , place in front of cematery & decorate with flowers woven through the lattice
  • Chris T Chris T on Jun 22, 2014
    Why not incorporate some of the really old or really beautiful grave markers in your pictures. I'm sure your pictures will be unique!
      @Chris T It wouldn't bother me but my fiance is not partial to it. So marriage is all about compromise so we'll try to disguise them. lol I've been to Tonawanda by the way. Real close to the Canadian boarder with a nice little shop of crafts and gifts just before you cross.
  • Ginnie Ginnie on Jun 22, 2014
    Put flowers on the visible stones and consider the deceased as additional guests and witnesses to your marriage.
  • Beverly Tayler Beverly Tayler on Jun 22, 2014
    if you hired a good photographer they can remove the stones from any pics.
  • Kathy H Kathy H on Jun 22, 2014
    It's a beautiful old church,if the marker are offensive. I'm sure you can take pictures at an angle that doesn't show them. Plus it looks like behind the church are some nice trees. Trees and wooded areas make nice back drops...I saw some other good ideas about enhancing the stones with flowers or using lattice ...I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful...
      @Kathy H Yes there are quite a lot of trees behind the church. And inside it has stained glass windows which should look lovely whether the sun shines or it rains.
  • Penny Davis Penny Davis on Jun 22, 2014
    Speaking as an experienced wedding photographer - a slight change in shooting angle and creative cropping in-camera can work miracles. But if you are expecting a specific aspect and those solutions won't work - then you will need to ask the photographer to retouch them in photoshop. But please be prepared to pay a fee for that service as many would consider it over and beyond a standard photography service. Is a very sweet church - and congratulations!! Hope your day is wonderful!
    • See 1 previous
    • Penny Davis Penny Davis on Jun 24, 2014
      Yes - there are certainly a LOT of photographers doing weddings out there that really should stick to family snaps. Best suggestion I can give when hunting for a photographer - make sure you ask to see several WHOLE wedding examples of their work and NOT just the highlights. It is the best indicator of consistent quality. And make sure they have a contract that protects/spells out both parties responsibilities. Best of luck with your search :)
  • Ray Lee Ray Lee on Jun 22, 2014
    Actually as a photographer the entire front of the church will be a issue. With steps and ramp down the middle and white additional to the right. Consult your photographer for alternatives.
      @Ray Lee Only informal pictures will be taken at the church. Wedding pictures will be taken elsewhere.
  • Reb352956 Reb352956 on Jun 22, 2014
    Make A banner that can hang low ...if not have you photographer, shot at an angle standing on the same side as the plots.....last opton go.to the dollor tree and pick up some chair covers that should fit right over and de orate them in your wedding colors
  • Reb352956 Reb352956 on Jun 22, 2014
    The banner could say something like on this day to friends become family and have you names and weddimg date
  • Carie Spires Robinson Carie Spires Robinson on Jun 22, 2014
    Can you make the walkway into more if an aisle and block or at least distract the view of the lawn? I am thinking something like arbors or fabric draped between tall post? It would keep guest within the waking space, and serve as a focal point in the background to eleviate the graves from being noticed.
      @Carie Spires Robinson Yes I was thinking we may go that way. I wasn't quite sure what I could use that was affordable to block the view. Arbors are a good idea I hadn't thought of,thank you!
  • Lori Wright Lori Wright on Jun 22, 2014
    A trellis w/ vines and flowers over top and sides.