Asked on Nov 2, 2018

How to clean soap scum from tubs?

PattiDianne ChoppCrafty girl
+7

• Everything Pretty
    Everything Pretty

Mix white vinegar and water 50/50 and spray. I sometimes sprinkle baking soda and spray the vinegar on it to clean my shower.

• Oliva
    Oliva

Bon Ami powder, applied to dampened surface. Scrub with wet sponge or wet microfiber cloth

• Patti
    Patti

I use Dawn dish soap to clean my tub. For scum, I use a soft srubbie (from Dollar store, the yellow sponge and green scrub side) and lightly pass the srubby along with a little more dish soap. Sparkling clean and it does not scratch the surface coating.

• Greene34
    Greene34

I have always used Comet and a 'scrubby' sponge until I recently discovered Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I was always rather doubtful how these Erasers work but they are great. I used them on my glass shower doors as well.

• Rowsie
    Rowsie

WD-40 uses now numbering in the thousands. WD-40 can be used for all of the above suggestions.

• Crafty girl
    Crafty girl

CLR (calcium,line,rust)can be used too but if you switch from bar soap to liquid it's better.Being a past merry maid,we have had tubs and shower walls so encrusted with soap scum we had to scrape it down with a mat knife razor blade before breaking it down with a cleaner.The magic eraser is good for final polishing after using a chore boy scrubby.Vinegar is great for rust,Dawn for greasey dirt and oil.Scrubbing bubbles works on soap scum.

• Dianne Chopp
    Dianne Chopp

I use a wet rag or sponge, a little liquid detergent like Pine-Sol and a tablespoon or so of either baking soda or powdered borax. The dry soda or borax has enough grit to give the surface a good cleaning without damage. Rinse well.

• Patti
    Patti

Cleaners like Bon Ami and Comet are abrasive and over time they will scratch and damage the finish of your tub, sink and toilet.