Asked on Dec 10, 2018

How do I silence a fountain (without turning it off)?

BetsyLynn SorrellNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+6

Splashing water can be annoying for some people, I have tried inclined planes and mushroom shaped heads without success.

• Rebecca Taylor
    Rebecca Taylor

Hi Ian, can you shorten the height of the waterfall? The higher the waterfall the more noise it will make.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Ian,

How big is your fountain? Is it indoors or outdoors?

• Ian Harris
    Ian Harris

Hi Rebbecca, I have a vertical spray head the pump provides about 12” height spray

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Yea soothing and noisy is definitely 2 different things. Don't use fountain for your pond. Get Diffused Aeration system instead---here's one company's info. http://www.pondalgaesolutions.com/pondaeration.html

Betsy

Hi Ian: One thing you might consider is putting a clear plastic pipe down the middle of the outlet so that the water cascades down the pipe and the pipe goes close to the bottom of the fountain. The water will shed down the outside of the pipe so that you won't see the pipe and the water won't splash. Or, you can have the water go into bowls or plates set close together so that the water doesn't splash, but what does splash is so quiet it shouldn't bother anyone. Here are some pictures that get a bit close to what I'm talking about, except the pipe thing:) Good luck.

Betsy

If you right click on one of those little images and then, when the menu shows up, click on 'view image' and you will see it bigger:)