Helene Wetzel
Helene Wetzel
  • Rutherford, NJ
Asked on Dec 12, 2018

How do I keep a room smelling nice?

Peggy BurnetteChris GignacBeth
+6

I have a cat and smoke, how can I keep my house smelling fresh

• Johnavallance82

Hi Helene, Open or vent the room more, Smoke only outside, or use Fabric freshener like Febreeze Spray everywhere, even Curtains, carpets, upholstery, anything pouros including Wallpaper collects smells.

• Katie Sara Creates

Wall plug-ins from Bath & Bodyworks are always nice, but something that's really effective is a Berger burner. I have two and they work like a charm whenever I need to get rid of any type of odour (dog smell, odours from cooking, etc.).

https://www.lampeberger.ca/

• Betty

Hi I have two cats. .I use a wax warmer. .it is electric. .get at Wal-Mart also the little wax cube at Wal-Mart. .Merry Christmas. .

• Lynn Sorrell

Activated Charcoal you can buy sachets to whole house replacement filters. Buy it online in bulk it's cheaper. put in shallow pie pans or something like it around rooms,sprinkle in vents,anywhere you can stash some. It absorbs odors(heavy & lingering) you can also get it at aquarium stores but it will be much more$. The shallower wider surface coverage the better like 2"s of activated charcoal in roasting pan works best

• Bijous

Hi Helene. Set up a smoking room with all the amenities you enjoy while smoking. Make sure the room's door is completely sealed and the room is well ventilated. Clean the cat litter once a day and completely change out the litter once a month. Now your house is happy and so is your cat!

• Kathy Gunter Law

Cleaning is the first key. Make sure litter is cleaned daily. Wipe walls and surfaces down regularly to remove residue from smoking. Charcoal is a good odor eliminator, make sure you get the kind that does NOT contain lighter fluid and put some in small buckets around the house.

You can also purchase these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7NHVZK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Febreeze is a good odor eliminator. Just don't make the mistake of covering the smell before adding scent.

• Beth

Helene, no matter what you do, the chemicals from smoke accumulate on the walls and cling to the fabrics in the room. You can cover it up, but non-smokers will still smell it.

When I had a decorating business, I refused to paint homes with smokers. I could take a paint scraper and scrape down the wall (usually behind a door) and yellow-y tar buidup would just roll up on the scraper from years of smoking. That residue prevents paint from adhering well. And it is what smells.

• Chris Gignac

My advice would be to stop smoking indoors. Keep up daily with the litter box. And as referred to above clean, clean, clean and then clean again. That would be a good start.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Helene, have you tried a salt lamp, really low voltage and helps clear the air.