Lori
Lori
Asked on Dec 13, 2018

How do I keep a poinsettia alive?

Ana BacallaoCindyNancy Turner
+5

I brought home a poinsettia, water it and within a few days it began dropping leaves. How do I keep it alive?

• Lori

Thankyou Tuula! I will definitely read that. Merry Christmas

• Nancy Turner

Most poinsettias come in those foil outer showy bags over the plain plastic pot. It doesn't allow the water to drain out, so you may have a lot of water inside that foil that has caused it to be overwatered. It also depends on the care it got before you purchased it. It could have been exposed to cold or been dry too long, who knows. Try taking it out of the foil and check to see if there is water held in it. When you do water it, take it out of the foil, water it and let it drain thoroughly before you put it back into the foil.

• Cindy

Hi Lori. I'm Cindy. Poinsettias love direct light. Put it in a window that gets lots and lots of sun. Keep the soil moist while they are still in bloom. But don't let them sit in water. Instead gently lift the plant out of its container, soak it well and place it back in its pot. Good luck Lori and Happy Holidays.

• Lori

Thankyou Cindy! I will find a sunnier window. Merry Christmas

• Ana Bacallao

Ditto to all the above, usually the culprit is too much water.

• Lori

Thank Thankyou Ana. Lots of good advice. Merry Christmas