Marilyn
Marilyn
  • Old Hickory, TN
Asked on Dec 29, 2018

How do I choose between painting or staining my kitchen cabinets?

Shore grandmomCarol JacksonJohn Grimley
+5

Will I be sorry it I go with a medium color stained cabinets rather than white/cream painted cabinets in the kitchen and master bedroom? My house is traditional style with several antique pieces, Oriental rugs.

• Oliva

A photo of your furnishings would be helpful, but it's more important for you to select your personal preference. Many decisions on kitchens are based upon what is most popular in your area. In many areas of NY, the preference is for factory painted cabinets with catalyzed finish.

If you will be living with your choice for some time, select your personal preference.

If you'll be selling soon, go with what's popular in your area.

Most importantly, avoid very ornate cabinetry, due to maintenance involved and lower preference amongst younger buyers.

• John Grimley

I'm told that it's becoming popular to have kitchen units wrapped (like with cars), the stuff they use is quite sturdy & can change the whole look for a fraction of the cost of new.

• John Grimley

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vinyl+wrap+kitchen+units&ie=&oe=

Way, way back in the day, we called this stuff "sticky-back plastic" and used it to give a washable surface to wood when used in cupboards or a pantry. This newer stuff claims to be easier to work with as it has air channels built in to the sticky side (if you want to believe it). One of the YT clips shown does seem a tad expensive until you note that they not only did the doors but all the exposed parts.

• Carol Jackson

William- check out youtube

• Carol Jackson

Marilyn- go to paint store, pick out sample cards you like, tap them to cabinets or walls,walk around them for a week or two , then decide which ones you can live with.

• Shore grandmom

You have to chose what you like. Don't worry about what is being installed in your are. When picking colors, keep in mind the size of the room and how light or dark the room is. I've put in both light painted (cream with a white glaze) and a medium cherry color. I like both in those particular kitchens. The light painted ones were in a small kitchen with one small window. The cherry cabinets were in a large kitchen with three windows. It brighten a kitchen, overhead, undercabinet and in cabinet lighting also helps.